We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 38
Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

After reading many positive recommendations on Trip Advisor for optician Patrick Ung

I decided to make an appointment for an eye test.The service we received from Patrick and his team at Vision First was amazing. Patrick collected my husband and I from our hotel in Batu Ferringhi and drove us to his shop in Georgetown.

We had our eyes tested and shown a great variety of stylish

frames and top quality lenses at low prices. One of Patrick's team then drove us to a shopping mall to shop for a few hours while our glasses were made. When they were ready Patrick collected us and drove us back to our hotel where he took time to carefully fit our glasses.

The following day Patrick delivered a birthday cake for my husband!

Meeting Partick was a highlight to our stay in Penang. His professional service is second to none.

If you wear glasses you must definitely visit Vision First in Prangin

Mall, Georgetown.

Louise

London
reviews: 17
121. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Glad this got resurrected; didn't get around to posting my visit.

Went last August. Having emailed Patrick beforehand, he made sure he was going to be there personally when we got there.

Had a very thorough exam - including making allowances being on the verge of needing adjustments for reading. I'm normally -5.00 and my last UK sight test at Vision Express didn't even bother mentioning that.

Paid a third (yes a third !!!) for thin, anti-reflective etc etc lenses than I would normally do in UK. And these are quality, branded lenses.

Attention to detail was excellent. On return visit for my wife's glasses there was a problem with the fitting. We were due to leave the next day so (despite very, very busy NY holiday season) he came to hotel to handover the specs. And brought his assistant (sorry forgot his name) to show what should have been measured.

All in all we bought 2 whole pairs of glasses and re-glazed another 2 for maybe 1 and a half times what I would pay for a set of mine.

Happy to endorse him and recommend if you are speccy wearers and happen to be in Penang.

Parramatta...
reviews: 435
122. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Never heard of him

Malaysia
reviews: 213
123. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Now you have :)

Manchester, United...
reviews: 19
124. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Patrick and the whole Team at Vision First Optic deliver fantastic optical needs at great prices......just go ! You can also add your opinion in the 'Things to do in Georgetown' under the 'shopping' tab.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
125. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

but isn't it in Australia, we have our claim benefit every year anyway for the glasses. but yeah, Malaysia's doctors and medical related are quite good. the most famous heart surgery in Aussie who died was also from Malaysia lol...

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 27
126. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Hi moeyz,

While if you have private health insurance you can get a standard pair of specs often at no out of pocket cost, once you move from single vision you do incur out of pocket expenses. I need (well, out of vanity I need) higher density lenses (sometimes called ground down in Australia) which sets me back around A$200 on top of my Medicare & private health rebates. From Patrick I have purchased specs including the higher density lenses for as little as A$60 all up so I am still $140 ahead, or potentially 2 more pairs through Patrick. For Sabrina she has multi-focal specs with transition lenses. In Australia pre-rebate these are around A$800 (from OPSM), from which she gets back about A$125 (and she had top top extras). From Patrick her multi-focal transition lenses in designer frames cost a total around A$330. She actually saved the cost of her airfare and more.

Add to that what we believe to be a far more thorough eye exam and focus placed on correct vision & fitting, and we'll keep going back to Patrick & the team at Vision First. In fact, we're popping in to see him on 27th April!

Lise & Sabrina

127. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 18, 2014