We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Which Georgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

After reading many positive recommendations on Trip Advisor for optician Patrick Ung

I decided to make an appointment for an eye test.The service we received from Patrick and his team at Vision First was amazing. Patrick collected my husband and I from our hotel in Batu Ferringhi and drove us to his shop in Georgetown.

We had our eyes tested and shown a great variety of stylish

frames and top quality lenses at low prices. One of Patrick's team then drove us to a shopping mall to shop for a few hours while our glasses were made. When they were ready Patrick collected us and drove us back to our hotel where he took time to carefully fit our glasses.

The following day Patrick delivered a birthday cake for my husband!

Meeting Partick was a highlight to our stay in Penang. His professional service is second to none.

If you wear glasses you must definitely visit Vision First in Prangin

Mall, Georgetown.

Louise

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 157
1. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Nice to hear that Patrick continues to give the excellent service to all.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
reviews: 62
2. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

another convert in the bag !!!!

must mention i also found that patrick does a more thourgh eye test and takes his time with it more than they do in the u,k maggieomx

Brisbane, Queensland
reviews: 24
3. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

May I ask, how did the cost compare to similar services in Sydney? Did you do any like-for-like comparisons? And were you able to claim any of the cost against a health fund in Australia?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
4. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

The only comparison I have is with the last pair of glasses I bought in Sydney.

My new glasses were about half the price, well worth a trip to Penang!

I am not sure about health fund claim.

country WA
reviews: 35
5. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

I totally agree with you. Following advice from Trip advisor, we arranged to see Patrick and his team. We got 6 pairs of glasses for the price of 1 pair in Australia and dealing with the Vision First team was so pleasant. It was all very easy and Patrick even sent us a lovely cake for afternoon tea. We would return to Penang just to get some more glasses and to have that fantastic service. Thanks again Patrick!

London
reviews: 6
6. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

We went to Penang in August 2009, we were staying in the Park Royal, Patrick collected us from the hotel and took us to his shop Vision First in Prangin Mall. Good selection of frames, chose two pairs of glasses which were delievered and fitted in the hotel by Patrick. Very happy with the service and continue to use him now!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
7. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Hi TheTonyG

On the health fund rebate, no, you can't claim it on glasses purchased in Penang (unless you have a really really special health fund).

To give a comparison on prices...

Both Subbi and I got glasses through Patrick at Vision First (I've actually now bought 3 pairs in two trips)...

Subbi has Multi-focal (long & close vision), Transition specs (become sunglasses in sunlight) with a half frame which cost her around A$800 in Perth (she got back A$110 from her health fund).

When we went to Vision First in February last year she got a pair of Multi-Focal, Transition glasses in a designer half frame (Bonia brand - Asian designer brand). She was given a choice of lenses, with French lenses being the best for the type of glasses she has (she could have paid less for standard lenses but paid the extra for the better quality lenses). Total cost A$305 - she saved more than the cost of her return airfares with Air Asia!

My prescription is reasonably high (-7 in one eye, -5 in the other) so I get the high density (thinner) lenses. In Australia it costs me between an additional A$180 - A$220 just to get the thinner lenses (that is not taking into account the cost of frames).

On our first trip to Patrick at Vision First I bought one pair of glasses with the high density lenses. As with Subbi I was given the choice of standard lenses or better quality ones - with the best quality for those lenses being Japanese. I paid the extra for Japanese lenses (turned out to be Nikon lenses) and the total cost was A$181.

Both Subbi/Mum and I had our eyes tested on that trip, there was no charge for the eye test, and it was very thorough.

On our recent trip in February this year I purchased another two pairs of glasses (I couldn't narrow my frame choice down to one so ended up buying two pairs - spent ages trying to narrow the choice down - as Patrick, Subbi, and Maggieomx can attest). I got just the normal lenses this time and both pairs cost me A$180!!!

Two pairs of glasses for the price of the lenses only in Australia!

Also, the level of service provided by Patrick, Stella, Steven and co. is far away above and beyond anything we get in Australia! And to top it off, they are genuinely nice people too!

The quality of the glasses is also very very good! And the range of frames is HUGE!!!

Hope this helps,

Lise (& Subbi)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
8. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

Oh, and they are quicker than in Australia too! Non complex glasses (like mine) take only a day or two. Subbi/Mum's slightly more complex glasses took 3 days!!! Brilliant!

Lise (& Subbi)

Edited: 9:41 am, May 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
reviews: 102
9. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

I've never been able to understand why it always seems to be 4, 5 or 6 times the price to buy specs, together with about 3 weeks for them to be made in Australia in comparison to Malaysia.

In Australia you also have to go through this strange system of paying for an eye test and then claiming some small percentage of it back through some mysterious insurance system, whereas in Malaysia, it's all part of the service.

Do have a look at my Penang JBR, where I tell the story of meeting Patrick. He is a special person and can only be highly recommended for his professionalism, hospitality and kindness. If you need specs and are in Penang, you'd really have to at least have a chat to him.

Travelkat

Paris, France
reviews: 17
10. Re: Patrick Ung - A must do in Penang.

"Meeting Partick was a highlight to our stay in Penang. His professional service is second to none.""

honestly, I think there must be more highlights in Penang rather than your optical shop man. I don't doubt that this Patrick Ung is an outstanding optician; but after reading so many posts esp one that is titled "Must do in penang"; I cannot help but to think that this publicity and free advertising has gone a little overboard.

"If you wear glasses you must definitely visit Vision First in Prangin"

Fine, but I live in a country where glasses are paid for in full by the health insurance. So whats the point of me buying glasses in Penang by myself?

And why would patrick ung be a MUST DO in penang for everyone?? I have perfect 20/20 vision, must I really do the Patrick ung thing while I visit penang?