I have done a significant amount of research in this forum (a big thanks for the many insightful comments and JBRs). I am still having trouble, however, getting my head around what might be the best hotel option for the kids and myself.
We will be travelling to Penang in April this year. The kids are 12, 4 and 2 and are well travelled. Hubby can't get away from work, so there will be just the 4 of us. Our criteria for a most desirable hotel are:
- Up to around 640MYR ($200 AUD) per night, preferably around 500MYR ($150). I'm happy to hunt down good deals.
- A family room, suite or interconnecting rooms; with 2 double beds, or 1 queen and a single/sofa bed/bunks (2yo still sleeps in a portacot). Separate sitting area would be a bonus but not essential.
- Toddler pool for the 2yo, within viewing range of a more interesting pool for 12 and 4.
- Interesting pool to include waterslides preferably, with some area where 4yo can stand (he's 120cm, size of a 6yo, and can swim very well, but will also need to stand independently).
- Kids club with minimum unaccompanied age of 4/5, but also allowing 2yo to attend with a babysitter. Extra bonus if the kids club gives parents a pager or mobile phone for contact (have had this elsewhere)
- Within easy walking distance of kid friendly local eats, minimart and mid range massage/spa (not hotel prices)
- Decent wifi, preferably free but happy to pay for it if it works well IN the room
- Easy access to public transport
- Doesn't have to be on the beach, just have great pools
- Not fussed about which area on Penang Island, just not somewhere too isolated
I have several hotels on my radar at the moment, but it's hard to tell which might best meet all criteria. Hotels include: Golden Sands, Hard Rock, Parkroyal, Holiday Inn and Bayview Beach resort. I'm also open to other suggestions.
All comments appreciated, and I promise a detailed JBR when we get home.