We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Penang to Hua Hin.

Which Penang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 5
Train from Penang to Hua Hin.

Hi all, I am looking for some information from anyone who has travelled on the train from Butterworth to Hua Hin / Bangkok. I have read the other threads but still have a couple of questions. How comfortable are the actual seats on the train and where is the luggage put on the train? Is there a restriction to how much luggage can be taken. Any other feedback on the trip would be appreciated!

Penang Island...
reviews: 96
1. Re: Train from Penang to Hua Hin.

Our family recently travelled with the 2nd Class Sleeper from Butterworth to Bangkok, then to Chiang Mai the next day.

The 2nd Class sleeper had double wide seats across each other by day, which made into a wider berth at night. The upper berth folded down, and is about 6-8 inches narrower.

The seats were very comfortable, and luggage slides underneath unless you have a huge pack.

The issue is with the tracks. From Hat Yai to Bangkok, the tracks are not banked correctly, and feel like you are getting de-railed at times, they are loud over intersections and the jostle you like you are in moderate turbulence in an aircraft--I almost got motion sick! I told my wife it was like sleeping in a cot on top of a washing machine that was unbalanced!

Then the train also stopped at every station, and hopeful passengers would peer into your curtain hoping for a free berth.

The ride seemed awfully long. We boarded at about 2:45pm (late arrival) and did not get off until almost 1pm the next day. We will never ride the Butterworth - Bangkok leg again, But, adore the Bangkok - Chiang Mai leg. You get on after dinner at about 7pm, go to sleep by 9pm if you wish, wake at dawn to scenes of mist in the foothills, and arrive Chiang Mai at about 10am.

2. Re: Train from Penang to Hua Hin.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 05, 2014