We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Which Kota Bharu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sussex UK
reviews: 3
Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

I'll be coming up from Jerantut by train and wonder if it would be possible to leave the train at Tanah Merah and catch the coach from there to Butterworth. My map appears to show the rail station right next to Route 4 but I can't find out whether or not the coach takes this road. Any advice would be very welcome - even if it's to say that I shouldn't miss visiting Kota Bharu!

Thanks!

Shellharbour...
reviews: 69
1. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Go to Kota Bharu, its brilliant. . There's so much to see and do and eat with wonderful friendly people. Its busy and the traffic can be hectic, although there are 1 way roads so not too bad to cross. Its easy to walk about town and not get too lost. The train stops at Wakaf Bharu(ours was very late). There are a lot of taxis available - they werent over the top , just there. We got one into town after haggling for 30 ringgit, which apparently is a bit steep, but the traffic at that time of night was horrendous going back across the bridge and it took us a good 1/2 hour to our hotel, so ...if you want to know anything else PM me :)

Sussex UK
2. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Thanks, ydd60, for your recommendation re Kota Bharu - I'm very tempted!

If, however, I do decide to give it a miss (tight schedule etc), will I be able to jump from train to coach at Tanah Merah?!!

Shellharbour...
reviews: 69
3. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Sorry I am not sure on that, have fun whatever you choose.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
reviews: 66
4. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Generally inter-state coaches are non-stop. I don't think it would be easy to simply jump on the Kota Bharu-Penang coach at Tanah Merah without prior arrangements.

Johor Bahru...
reviews: 40
5. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

The ticketing agent will inform the bus driver to pick up passengers along the route who have already bought tickets earlier on.( maybe even 1 hr latest booking). Probably there is one in Tanah Merah but buying on the day itself is dicey as all seats might be taken.

Sussex UK
6. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Thank you,Jadamros & AHisham - very useful information. Guess I'll be visiting Kota Bharu after all!

Kuala Terengganu...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Dear Gawdelpus,

My advice, the best way, u have to stop at Wakaf Bharu Train Station, from there u can take taxi to Kota Bharu Town around 15-20 minutes only,depend on traffic..so..u have time to visit Kota Bharu during daytime & then u can take Express Bus at Kampong Sireh Terminal Bus Station night time 8.30-9.30pm to Butterworth.

Many thanks & Happy Travels

Overland-Transfer.

Edited: 11:26 am, February 18, 2013
Sussex UK
8. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

Thanks OT!

9. Re: Coach route from Kota Bharu to Butterworth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014