We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Which Kota Bharu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 284
Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Hi,

I am looking to visit one (possibly 2) of these islands around September/october time and just wondered if there was much difference between them? It seems they are all fairly basic but scenic which is fine with us. We aren't backpackers so would like nicer accommodation (mid range) if possible but we are flexible. We plan to stop off in Singapore and then go straight to the island (obviously changing flights/boat as necessary) and not see KL as we were there last November already.

If anyone can explain the subtle differences to us it might help to make our decision- I have been googling but can't find out too much info.

Thanks for your help!

22 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
1. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Hi there,

I've been to both Redang Island and Perhentian Island. Both are beautiful in term of scenery though I prefer the much more laid back Perhentian. Accommodation mostly simple and pretty basic chalet.Few of mid range chalet there. IMHO, Perhentian is suitable for those seeking solitude and time alone.

But, since you plan to stop off in Singapore, I would like to suggest Redang Island. Book/ Use Berjaya Air straight to Redang. Redang have nicer accommodation. Suitable for honeymooners too. While in Redang , you can also get boat service for day trip to Perhentian. So you can stay in Redang and use boat to Perhentian.

I've never been to Tioman but Berjaya Air do have direct flight from Singapore to Tioman. Hope these help ;).

England
2. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Thanks for your help- it looks like redang is the most logical as we can fly direct. Didn't know it was possible to do a day trip across so that sounds perfect.

Are the beaches equally good in both places? We are happy to have fairly quiet time as it'll be a contrast from Singapore and possibly a third destination.

reviews: 84
3. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Hi

Just like to say I flew direct from KL to Tioman last year with Berjaya and then flew out of Tioman direct down to Singapore. Both flights went well.

We loved Tioman; very laid back and we didn't find it in any way 'over touristed' like we had read before we went. We've been to much more touristy places than Tioman. If you are a snorkeller it is teriffic (some of the best coloured coral we have seen in recent years with the exception of the Lighthouse island off Belitung Island, Indonesia (45 min flight above Jakarta).

We are going to Perhentians for 5n and Redang for 3n next April/May so it will be interesting to see which we liked the best after that.

All 3 destinations are like chalk and cheese compared to Singapore! :) You are correct when you say they will 'contrast' LOL. We stop in Singapore sometimes instead of Kuala Lumpur; Malaysia and Singapore are NOTHING like each other in our opinion. Neither better or worse, just different, although overall we find Malaysia far more cultural, scenic and cheaper.

Have a great holiday whatever you choose and remember that Berjaya's luggage limit is 10kg +MYR15 for every kg over. On one flight we had that enforced as the flight was full; on the other which was not full they did not care about the excess amounts people carried.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
reviews: 68
4. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Hi

Been to all 3, often

Tioman is good if you stay at Bamboo Hill. Snorkelling trips ok.

Redang best for turquoise ocean; i think you have to get a package. Snorkelling trips better imho. Ferry from mainland.

Perhentian has upgraded accommodation and prices over the years, I wouldn't call it laid back any more, and coral/fish are not so spectacular.

If you;re short of time and coming from Singa, definitely go to Tioman or Redang because of the airport.

Selamat Jalan!

5. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Hi Zooey...

Not my thread I know but your reply also helps me given I'm going to both Perhentians and Redang next April.

We stayed at Panuba Inn which was fine for the price; we trekked across the jungle near headland to ABC beach to a little beach shack for cocktails though.

I'd easily go back to Tioman again but would try a different beach next time (but only because I like a bit more choice in where I eat, etc).

We are staying 5 nights on Perhentian Besar at Coral View Island Resort in the deluxe seaview and family deluxe seaview rooms on the beach. At Redang then for 3 nights and staying at Redang Beach Resort in the club deluxe rooms in the NEW wing so hopefully that will be okay too. Then 2 nights in KL before back home.

I agree coming from Singa the easiest are Tioman and Redang.

Do you have any tips on what you have found to be the best snorkeling (and/or diving) area's for Perhentians and Redang? Given you've been to both often any tips on snorkel, beaches, places to eat... or more importantly places to avoid would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Sydney
reviews: 12
6. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

How did you go with Redang? We're huge clear water fans and I have an 10 months old. What would be more luxurious? Thanks ahead!

7. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Hi GuybrushJo, arrived home 2am this morn (6 May) so didn't see your query until just now after getting up bleary eyed but sick of being in bed (too many reviews to write LOL).

Of Perhentian's and Redang I would have to say the Laguna Resort at Redang would be the most luxurious of what I saw (I didn't see inside any rooms so I am only going on lobby, restaurants, cocktail bar area, pool area and grounds). It seemed very nice and the staff there were very friendly and helpful when we dined there or had cocktails watching the live band. Is on a beautifully clean, azure blue, clear water beach.

At Perhentian's we stayed at Coral View Island Resort on Besar in their Family Deluxe beachfront chalets (and friends stayed in beachfront Deluxe Chalets). Only difference was ours was a little larger with a single bed and bit more room plus bigger bathroom. Theirs was on the 'sunset' side of the point with slightly better view but both close to facilities. Deluxe it isn't but clean and tidy with all necessities they are (have good working air con, good working fan, mini fridge etc) and are cleaned daily. We would stay again in a heartbeat.

The most luxurious looking place we saw on Perhentian's was probably BuBu's on Kecil. We didn't think Tuna Bay looked any better than Coral View (in fact for ambience we were really happy we chose Coral View).

I will post more info in a JBR but you will need to give me a couple of days to get it typed up and posted.

Any other specific questions feel free to write here and I'll keep an eye on this thread and reply.

I saw babies at both islands and nobody seemed to be having an issue so I think either would be fine but Redang a little more upmarket overall and you have the ability to fly directly in and out with Berjaya for okay prices versus the more indirect, slightly more hassle of getting to the Perhentians. Maybe this is a consideration with a young one for you (?). With no kids and no mobility issues we would go back to Perhentians before Redang (but only because the diving and snorkeling were better and it was a more relaxed vibe which we were looking for). For nightlife definitely Redang though.

Edited: 8:55 pm, May 05, 2013
England
8. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

It's good to revisit this post, we opted to go to Hawaii instead last year and now are thinking of planning Malaysia for this September again. I'm finding it hard to see the differences in the islands - they all seem to have good snorkelling and food etc, but i worry we might not have enough to do, unless we join it up with another destination. We're not really into the package holiday thing and prefer to DIY our own mid range holiday, but i will keep looking :-)

Island of Malta...
reviews: 8
9. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

We're a family of 4 and stayed for 5 days at Redang in early September 13 at Coral Redang. We chose the deluxe room as it was bigger and my two daughters could stay with us. Snorkelling is fantastic. The hotel organises snorkelling trips to different sites every day and I would say this was what made redang excellent for us. The sea is perfect. Wake up early to see sunrise.Coral Redang have a bar which is pleasant for a cocktail before dinner and the restaurant had a varied menu-which was providential as there aren't much better places to go to. You can go to Parhenthian but what I was offered was a chartered boat for a day and I found it pricey. Maybe you could share the cost with another family. We chose Redang over Tioman because I thought with Redang being bigger you can have more things to do but you're really in the same place for your stay as they told us the village and port are not worth visiting. If you like snorkelling/diving I totally recommend Redang. Chose the dates properly to ensure sunshine.

Redang Island
10. Re: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?

Below you make comparison for Perhentian Island / Redang Island and Tioman Island .

pulauperhentian.org/InformationPerhentianIsl…

www.redangisland.org/RedangHistory.html

www.pulautioman.com.my/Howtogetthere.html

Hope all the information above ,will help you to get ,what you want..

Reply to: Differences between perhentian/tioman/redang?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted