We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, Berks
car hire

Off to Langkawi next week, want to hire a car for a few days, any thoughts on the best place to hire, airport ? Kuah? staying at Pelangi.

Cheers Steve

UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: car hire

We hired ours from the hotel - pick up and drop off from the hotel was the most convenient for us. Probably paid a bit over the odds for our Proton but did not have the time to hunt out cheapest option. You might have more choice out at Pelangi as it was in a more touristy area than where we stayed.

London, UK
reviews: 7
2. Re: car hire

Hi Steve,

I arrived on Langkawi without a reservation for a hire car but found no problem in hiring a vehicle at the airport. This was perfect because it meant I could make my own way to the hotel and back to the airport at the end of my stay. If you hire elsewhere you'll still need to get transport for that bit of your journey.

Don't expect the international brand name companies, though. There are at least a dozen car-hire outfits in the baggage reclaim area. They are all (quite literally) falling over themselves to get your business. But as is typical in Malaysia they are genuine and friendly people.

I paid just under GBP30 for 3 days rental of a (very 2nd hand) Proton but it did the job perfectly. Forget the usual formalities of a credit card and an international permit... just a quick look at your UK license and the cash will do the trick. The guy gave me his mobile number in case I got into any problems because there isn't exactly a 24 hour staffed office to call in at.

Returning the car was a bit unorthodox but it all went smoothly in the end - and I got back my 50RM deposit. The whole thing was a bit odd but in the end I decided it was actually a refreshingly low key and relaxed way to do business.

Singapore
reviews: 12
3. Re: car hire

hi willmatt,

if you are still around, can you advise if the car you hired has any insurance coverage? i approached kasina and they quoted a slightly higher rate which includes a CDW insurance (or something like that)

Kuching
reviews: 7
4. Re: car hire

Full Langkawi car rental info in this topic here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298283-i8829-k163…

Shrewsbury, United...
reviews: 54
5. Re: car hire

We hired a car from the hotel. Cannot remember the name, but they seemed fine. We also noticed how laid back they were. They only glanced at my husbands licence and didnt even bother looking at mine. We paid up front with no refundable deposit and we just put the keys through the letter box of the office when we'd finished. Nothing about insurance was mentioned whatsoever which was quite worrying I suppose... We had a Proton which didn't go over about 50mph so we felt quite safe!

Clare

England
6. Re: car hire

we hired at car at the berjaya as well

Be aware when you put the petrol in if you are only having the car for the day

We put about ��6 in and it filled the tank!! Only used a quarter of the tank by the end of the day

Petrol station asks for the amount you wish to put in before you fuel, so hard to know how much it needs

val

Singapore
reviews: 12
7. Re: car hire

i am back! i totally agree with willmatt! anyway, i got the car when we arrived and paid RM 110 for 2 days. the return part was a little bit of hassel but yes, it was done anyway! and i also got back my RM50 deposit. we rented a proton wira and it was normal. do not go for proton iswara as it does not have power steering. my recommendation for a basic car that does the job just fine with the lowest cost would be a proton wira.

thanx for everyone's comments cos its really thru reading the posts here that gave me more knowledge on langkawi!