We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable Car/dining/markets

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 22
Cable Car/dining/markets

Hi,

We are coming to Langkawi in July and will be staying at the Berjaya. I have stayed there before (but not the rest of my family) and previously went up the Cable Car at the Oriental Village to see the wonderful view from the top. I have heard that the lookout bridge is now closed and I am wondering if anyone has been up the Cable Car recently and whether it is still worth the trip?

On a separate issue, where to eat? We will try to go to the Thai restaurant in the resort for dinner one night and i have heard that there are some nice places to eat around the Telaga Harbour (sp?). Does anyone have any suggestions? I know the Berjaya is fairly isolated and, as it has been some years since I was there, I am not sure what is around there these days! We would prefer to eat near the hotel rather than taking taxis but I would like to maybe go to Pantai Cenang (is that where the restaurants are?) or somewhere else one night for a trip away from the resort.

My boys are 19 & 16 and would love to go to the markets for some shopping. Would you recommend the night markets? Is the one in Kuah town the best one? I remember going to one last time we were there and there was a big duty free shop nearby...I'm not sure which night market this was though?

Sorry for all the questions but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks,

Louise

4 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 62
1. Re: Cable Car/dining/markets

Hi

There are lots of restaurants at Telaga Harbour. Privilege is great but you will have to book. Mare Blu for Italian food and the Tapas Restaurant for very nice tapas. There was another restaurant due to open a couple of weeks ago which I think was Arabic. It's 10RM each way by taxi from Berjaya to Telaga.

Pantai Cenang is where the main bulk of the tourist restaurants are and it is a 20 min journey by car from Berjaya. There are still no restaurants in walking distance of the Berjaya unless you eat at the food court in the Oriental Village or at one of the restaurants there but these tend to close in the early evening.

The best night market is the one in Kuah Town on Wednesday and Saturday evenings. I am afraid your boys will be quite disappointed as these are not tourist markets but more for the locals to do their veg shopping and not for the usual tourist tat. There is lots of freshly cooked food they could try though.

Of course the cable car is still worth doing especially if you have never been on it before.

Enjoy

Lesley

Perth, Australia
2. Re: Cable Car/dining/markets

Thanks for your quick reply Lesley :)

Do you know of any places where the boys could buy cheap t-shirts etc? I understand what you say regarding the night markets....it may still be interesting to visit, to see what the locals buy/eat but I think the boys would be more interested in the tourist type market place!

Also, are taxis easy to get at night from Telaga Harbour and Pantai Cenang? Should we insist on the drivers using the meter or is it more common to negotiate a rate?

Thanks,

Louise

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 62
3. Re: Cable Car/dining/markets

Hi

Pantai Cenang is the best place for getting inexpensive T-shirts and other stuff.

Taxis do not have a meter. The prices are fixed so no need to negotiate. Lots of taxis around in Pantai Cenang but not so many at Telaga Harbour. They tend to disappear when the restaurants start to close at about 10.30-11.00pm.

Lesley

Perth, Australia
4. Re: Cable Car/dining/markets

Thanks so much Lesley :)

Reply to: Cable Car/dining/markets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted