We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional or not?

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 42
Traditional or not?

Hi, contemplating a holiday to Langkawi but looking for some advice please - is the Island just a 'Disneyland' or are there some authentic Malaysian experiences - by that I mean local markets, and 'local' eateries. If not, is it feasible to 'jump off' the Island for the mainland and return in a day? (Sorry I'm fairly clueless about the area). Thanks in advance!

15 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
reviews: 24
11. Re: Traditional or not?

Hi there...sounds like we both like the "better things in life"....good food and good wine!

Sounds like Pantai Cenang will be the place for you. You can buy wine at most Duty Free shops. Aussie tends to be a bit expensive though. We tend to drink wine from Chile or South Africa.

Spirits are very cheap, cheaper than Aussie Duty Free so basically we dont bother taking alcohol in, we buy it there. Beer is cheaper than water!.

I will put my thinking cap on re accommodation. Prices have increased alarmingly and on the beach front its pretty difficult.

Back to you shortly on accommodation

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 62
12. Re: Traditional or not?

Hi

If you want to be in the main tourist area then you may be better looking at places in Pantai Tengah which is a bit quieter than Cenang but still plenty of restaurants, shops and bars and a 10 minute walk into Pantai Cenang or a cheap taxi ride.

Look at Frangipani, which is lovely, La Pari Pari, Holiday Villa or Federal Villa.

Lesley

New Delhi, India
reviews: 24
13. Re: Traditional or not?

Hi,

If you have been to Bali and liked it - then probably this will not be the same. In bali, you can feel and be part of the great culture they have. The history is so evident there. Very traditional.

Majority of the island is empty/ jungle/ small villages. But you find a very strong tradition here.

You can visit and enjoy several things there - like some nice beaches (although not a party island) and bars, mangrove tours, island hopping, etc. There is not much I could find in name of arts & crafts to shop.

Cheers!

Australia
14. Re: Traditional or not?

Hi Lesley thanks for input - have opted for a split - part up in the north and the balance down in the Southern area where the 'action' is! Went for the Chantique, price seems to be good! Cheers!

Australia
15. Re: Traditional or not?

Hi LuvSharma Bali was not our favourite destination - enjoyed Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We like a whole mix of things so I'm sure we will enjouy Langkawi. Cheers!

Reply to: Traditional or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted