We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alexandria
reviews: 21
Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Hi to Malaysian local residents,

My husband and I are traveling to KL in early December and figuring out our itinerary. After much reading at TA forum (very helpful posts!), I'm wondering about spending a couple of days in Cameron Highlands. I was there several decades ago and remember it as lovely and cool. Is this worth doing? Should we drive or get a driver?

Then I thought of visiting Langkawi and and possibly Koh Lipe. Best to fly from KL to Langkawi? then speedboat to Koh Lipe? We like to snorkel but I have read about the jellyfish. Is this a good season to be trying to snorkel? Also wondering about resorts - Andaman, Datai, Westin? I'd like AC, no bats, least mosquitos. Quiet and lovely are my first choices. Many thanks in advance.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
reviews: 66
1. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Unfortunately Cameron Highlands has changed, and not all for the better. Over-development and clearing of the hills for farming has meant that the weather is no longer as cool as before. Traffic can be bad at the weekends. This is not to discourage you from going, just to let you know what to expect after your last visit all those years ago. The tea plantations still are nice to visit. As to whether to drive, it is really up to you - it depends on how confident a driver you are, okay with driving on the left side of the road and if you are used to Asian style of driving. Having a car at your disposal would make it easier to get around in Cameron's.

For Langkawi, if coming from KL, yes the easiest way to get there is by flight. From Langkawi, you can take a speedboat over to Lipe in high season. If you are really worried about jellyfish wear a stinger suit and have vinegar handy. But I must say when I was in Lipe, did not encounter any problem with jellyfish. There is of course no snorkeling to be had in Langkawi.

If it was me I would go for the Datai. Of course it is located in a rainforest, so need to have some reasonable expectations on mosquitoes and wildlife. Andaman is located next door.

The Westin is located on the other side of the island near the main town Kuah. The town is not a very interesting place to be stationed at for tourists but the choice is up to you.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 30
2. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Dear Alexandria,

Jadamros is totally spot on - as always:)

If you add Koh Lipe I would stay at least one night.

Out of the hotels you have listed my choice would be Datai, followed by Andaman, followed by Westin.

But my very personal favorite is the boutique style Bon Ton/Temple Tree but that might not be for you as you can expect more mossies. I never had a problem with them at this location.

However, speed up with booking! We are approaching tthe peak season.

Eva

Lidkoping, Sweden
reviews: 12
3. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

jgAlexandria,

Are you staying in Alexandria Egypt and an egyptian citizen?

If so and you are going to Lipe, you need to apply for Visa at a Thai Embassy before entering Thailand.

alexandria
4. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Hi Lipee,

I've enjoyed all your informative posts. No, alexandria, VA, near Wash DC. We could not find accommodation on Koh Lipe so will stay 4 nights on Langkawi - picked the Danna, which I hope is a good choice. I saw one of your posts which said possible to take boat to Koh Lipe, snorkel and return in a single (but long) day. We may try to do that if not too complicated, and if we can get gear to rent on Koh Lipe.

alexandria
5. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Hi Capn Eva,

I have read many of your posts and they are great. Thank you. It was fun to see your name answering my question. After much investigation, we decided on Danna (not even a choice in my original question) and I hope it works out well for Langkawi. Could not find any accommodation on Koh Lipe - it must be the high season, but we will try to come for a day of snorkeling. Thank you again!

alexandria
6. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Hi Jadamros,

I actually lived one summer in Petaling Jaya (where you are, I think), when in high school. Thank you for telling me about Cameron HIghlands. It does not sound very appealing now, and hard to get to. We changed our itinerary based on your reply, and will do a few days in KL, then Penang then Langkawi, hoping to add a day of snorkeling in Koh Lipe as it was sold out to stay overnight. All I remember from Penang was a temple of snakes and great food - it seems that is still the case. Let me know any favorite things to do or places to eat there now. I appreciate your good insight.

thanks again!

Lidkoping, Sweden
7. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Ok, that makes it easier for you to visit Lipe.

Yes, you can make a daytrip over to Lipe and snorkel but it´s not cheap. A return ticket with the speedboat cost you RM236 and you will have 7 hours on the island.

Dep Telaga Harbour on Langkawi 09.30 and arr Lipe 09.30 (thai time)

Dep Lipe 16.30 and arr Telaga 18.30 (malay time)

There are two different snorkeling tours and they cost 500THB or 600 THB (~RM50 or RM60) incl all equipment and a small lunchbox, fruit and water.

Reg accommodation on Lipe, when are you in the area?

alexandria
8. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Thank you, Lipee. Great information. Is this a snorkel tour with about 100 people because it did not sound too appealing. But maybe there is one option with fewer passengers? Are you allowed to recommend a vendor?

We will be in Langkawi from Dec. 13 to 17. Very helpful, as always!

Lidkoping, Sweden
9. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

No no, the snorkeling tour is by longtail and there are max 8 persons in each boat.

You can hire a longtail of your own for about 2000 THB as well. In this case you must pay extra for the equipment and lunch.

Contact the travelshop called "Thai Beach Travellers" on Walking Street on Lipe for booking and tell them your arr time to Lipe.

Email: info@thaibeachtravellers.com

Lidkoping, Sweden
10. Re: Langkawi with Koh lipe? and Cameron Highlands?

Reg accommodation you have several choices on Lipe here at fair rates the dates you mention:

http://thaibeachtravellers.com/hotels/searchresults?HotelLocation=Koh+Lipe&day=13&month=01%2F12%2F2013&nights=4&guests=2

Edited: 6:53 am, November 16, 2013