We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 32
Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

It took us a few days to find places to fit in with our £10 ($15) a day food budget that didn't involve fast food.

The places listed on here as budget we found to be budget for UK or US prices but quite expensive as far as SE Asia goes.

What we've found is that the cheapest breakfast around, that is still delicious and plenty of it, is Cactus. It's down along Pantai Tengah, opposite Holiday Villa Beach Resort, set back from the road a bit.

They have a good selection, scrambled eggs with lots of toast and jam comes to Rm12

They do an all in one pan sausages, veg, potatoes and egg with toast for RM16

A pile of French Toast is RM11 and the local dishes are cheaper again.

Everything is delicious and all the breakfasts come with fruit, fresh orange juice and a hot drink included in he prices above. They are open from 6am and we haven't been unsatisfied yet.

For Lunch there is the 'Famous Chicken (Not Pork) and Rice' shop. It's up by Underwater World to the south of the complex on the opposite side of the road. Choose between either Chicken and rice for RM5, Chicken and Rice+ for RM7 or Chicken and Rice++ for 10RM.

It's tasty and we found more than enough for lunch on a budget.

Finally for Dinner we ate at the Boat Restaurant. This isn't the Boat Seafood Restaurant but a little Chinese place next to Cactus.

Their small dishes are RM9 instead of the RM14+ that other places offer.

The steamed rice is RM1 per person and the soft drinks are RM2. There's beer and other drinks for around RM5, I think coffee was RM3.

We could both have a drink, rice and a small dish to ourselves for RM12 each.

tasty food, great staff. Ideal whether you're on a budget of not.

There are other little burger stalls around offering burgers for RM3.50 and probably some other cheap restaurants too, these were just the cheapest places we found around us.

I appreciate that other people may not be on such a tight budget as us but as I said, Budget for Western prices and Budget for SE Asian prices are two completely different things.

We came here for a cheap beach break in the middle of our journey, £10 an night for accommodation and £10 a day for food saw a week in the sun for £140.

6 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 55
1. Re: Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

Hi Ryan

Thanks for your posting. Some very useful information for anyone who is on a tight budget.

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 27
2. Re: Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

Dear Ryan,

did you try the Red Tomatoe Kandar? I think that is not only one of the cheapest local Indian / Malay but also one of the best. Open 24/7, clean, constant replacement of the food that is served in buffet style. I have never spent more than10 RM for meal and drinks.

Eva

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 59
3. Re: Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

I'm with Eva - Nasi Kandar Tomato in Pantai Cenang is fantastic - such great prices for amazing food. So many choices and all so yummy!

Langkawi, Malaysia
reviews: 20
4. Re: Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

Hey, there are three additional little cafes that are quite decent and 'inexpensive'

Hong Kong Lai Kwai Fong RTV Cafe (across from UnderWater World) they also serve breakfast

The Java (Javanese Food) is near the end of Jalan Pantai Cenang at T-junction to Pantai Tengah

Thein-Thein Lai Seafood & Hawker Centre is on the corner just at the road into Pantai Tengah

All three are wonderful, The Boat and Tomato Kandar both get my vote too! Yum!

Bowral, Australia
reviews: 85
5. Re: Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

Great tip with the famous chicken rice shop - it's our current lunch fave and we are going there every day ! They don't mind if we get some cans of drink from next door and even brought out the most delicious chicken soup today which they refilled for free. Complete lunch for us is costing roughly 20rm and is quick and healthy. The owner doesn't speak much English but is so eager to please and really does do the best chicken rice - it's a winner so thanks for the hot tip :-)

Essex
reviews: 10
6. Re: Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang

We love Cactus and the Boat. Even if not on tight budget they are well worth a visit. Tasty, filling, cheap and continual great service.

Reply to: Cheap food around Pantai Tengah - Cenang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted