We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Hello all,

I am a first timer to the beautiful langkawi island ~~ for honeymoon :D we will be there from mar 31 to Apr 6. We plan to hire a car to travel around the island while we are there! Heard the tripadvisor langkawi experts said alot of cheap car rental companies offer unlicensed and uninsured vehicles to visitors so can get into alot of troubles even with minor scratches ><

Many mentioned its cheap n convenient to hire a car at the airport! Does anyone happen to know if those vehicles hired from the airport are normally licenced and insured? And how can i make sure a car is LEGALLY licenced and insured? My apologies if i am sounding naive :p

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

TwistyHK

Norfolk.
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 6
1. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Hi

There are loads of rental kiosks at the airport but we always use Indra. Kasina are also very good. Both of these companies are fully licenced & insured.

The easy way to check if your car is licenced is to look at the tax disc, it should be hexagonal (6 sided).

Have fun

Mick

Malaysia
reviews: 13
2. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Make sure you had apply for an international driving permit for the Insurance to be effective .

All valid road tax disc is only given with a valid insurance coverage.

As simple as that:No insurance coverage no road tax disc given

Edited: 10:54 pm, March 15, 2013
Hong Kong
3. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Thanks Mick and Leopany for the helpful advices :D

How much rental cost per day (or for 6 days) do these licenced n insured car rental companies usually charge? Are the rental charges negotiable?

Thanks again :D

Malaysia
reviews: 13
4. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Depends on what make of car.

Malaysia make proton range from Rm50-Rm70

Imported Japanese cost Rm 80 onwards also on capacities .of car

With 6 days you would had better negotiation power.

You might want to add on extra for all liabilities.,damages for car and other

The basis insurance only cover third parties.

Hong Kong
5. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Thx again leopang :D

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
6. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

HI, congratulations. Lucky you are coming in after LIMA.

It is okay, your HK driving licence can be used, not really necessary for IDP,as HK driving licence are in English (with Chinese also).

Yep, use Indra or Kasina-they have service kiosks at the airport. And thoroughly check exterior of car ,even from Kasina or Indra for body marks,and of course, on that air cond already,and check all lights indicator and wiper blades are working,and

Hong Kong
7. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Thx Kiaratravel! Without an international license, would there be any problem with insurance coverage under the car rental companies' policy in case of an accident?

Thanks much again ^^

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
8. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Hi, get CDW. Though if that is worrying you, then get a IDP- believe it is HKD80. It is valid for one year.

If you go to Transport Licensing Office, it can be done on the same day.

Need two photos with plain background(if I still remember,photo size 50mm X40mm).

Hong Kong
9. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

Thx again Kiaratravel!

That is very precise info! I just got my IDP today! You are right on! $80 fee and 40mmx50mm photo :P

Bangalore, India
reviews: 3
10. Re: Are car rentals at the airport licenced and insured?

I had a bad experience with Maystar which has a booth at the airport. The agent at the booth kept on telling that the car was in top condition and only 2 years old. The car that we got was more than 5 years old - with water leaking into the boot, low mileage, bad noise from the brakes and what not. I was thankful that the car did not break down in the middle of nowhere.