We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 12
Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Does anyone know if the MBB is going to close for refurbishment, and if so, when?? We stayed there last year and loved the location but the hotel itself was in desperate need of work. We were told it would be closing but I see that there have been some new reviews posted so it must still be operating.

Perth
21. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Hi

I am reading with interest all your comments about MBB.

As a long time devotee of the resort, I am sure Leslie can vouch for that, I would just like to have my say.

I was at what was called "The Journey 1990-2013" on the final night of the MBB on 18th Jan. It was a fabulous night at the Seashell.

I was talking to the "main man" of the Trade Winds/Istana group that now own the MBB and saying how much I loved the place. OK we all know it was past its used by date ,but was still very tranquil. He was waxing lyrical about what they were going to transform the MBB into.

I have been travelling to Langkawi since 2000 mostly twice a year and have seen many changes in that time. Most of them I am afraid for the worst.

The Danna and Telaga Harbour were just being constructed on my first visit.

The Danna took about eight years to complete.

I guess what I am trying to say is that most of us do not like change, the old saying, "if it aint broke don't fix it".

I fear for what will happen to Pantai Kok and the beautiful Burau bay in the name of progress.

But who are we to have any say in what happens to our beautiful Langkawi!!!

Regards

Kevin

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 73
22. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Hi

This is getting to be quite an interesting debate for once!!

Being a person who does not like change, I was told, on more than one occasion, that if you cannot accept change, you cannot accept progress. Whether this is actually progress or not remains to be seen.

On the one hand it will hopefully create a number of new jobs for the younger local people of Langkawi, which cannot be a bad thing. On the other hand it is ruining what is one of the most beautiful areas on the island (to my mind anyway). Not to mention the flora and fauna living in that particular place.

Unfortunately when big bucks come into any equasion there is only one winner.

Lesley

Perth
23. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Hi Lesley

I am sure it will be progress for those that have not experienced the Island and in particular Burau Bay as we knew it. That after all is what dollars the developers are chasing. New five star resorts will appeal to those who did not know the beauty that once existed.

It will certainly create new jobs for local people but given what has happened a great deal of jobs have been lost.

I think the bats, flying lemurs,hornbills, kingfishers, etc etc will be gone for good.

Maybe I am am being a little paranoid to change but I doubt it.

Kevin

reviews: 12
24. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Joni Mitchell got it right !! They paved paradise and put up a 5* hotel!

http://jonimitchell.com/music/song.cfm?id=208

Girona, Spain
reviews: 4
25. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Update

Hi guys, decided to stop off at the new construction behind Kok beach this afternoon. I got speaking to one of the workers, what he told me was that they are constructing a new road through the forest. This will replace the existing road, which will In turn be closed, allowing for the construction of hotels with direct access to the beach. So another public beach lost to the developers.

If anyone Is interested I have a few pics taken today, just drop me a PM with email and I will forward the pics on.

Martyn.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
26. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Hi Martyn

PM for you

Lesley

Windsor and...
reviews: 194
27. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

I stayed at Mutiara over Christmas/New Year in 2011/2012. It was basic hotel but both my husband and I loved it.

I wanted to take my sister there this year and I am upset by what is happening to a beautiful part of Langkawi.

centre france
reviews: 65
28. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

The beach bar was demolished day before yesterday so perhaps things are moving quickly. I saw a few people enjoying the beach so that's still possible at the moment

Hamburg, Germany
29. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

any news on that topic?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
30. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Hi

I am on the island at the moment and staying at Berjaya (which is next door to what was the Mutiara).

I had a walk over there the other day and it has all the appearance of a bomb site!!! Everything has been torn down, there are piles of rubble everywhere but apart from that, nothing else is happening - no building starting yet or anything.

Even the Pantai Kok area is still the same apart from whatever is going on at the opposite side of the road near The Danna.

Lesley

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi