We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Datai Renovations - help!!

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Herts
Datai Renovations - help!!

Im planning on staying at the Datai for my honeymoon at the beginning of June. Having satisfied ourselves of just about every eventuality, we have recently discovered that they are renovating the villas between May and November.

Does anyone know anything about this?? I'm incredibly concerned as the last thing we want is to spend our honeymoon with builders wandering around and the sound of crash and banging while we are by the pool/ beach??

Can anyone enlighten me as to how close the villas are to the main resort and whether they are in constant view of the facilities (pool, restaurants etc) therefore creating an unwelcome eyesore!!

Dublin
reviews: 10
11. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

Do you know which numbers those villas are? The ones nearer to the lobby?

New Zealand
reviews: 8
12. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

JJ- Personally I wouldn't have one of the villas closer to the lobby, they are tucked into the side and around the back of the east wing of the hotel rooms. A few are actually overlooked by the rooms. You may be closer to the lobby but I think the villas on the flat at the bottom right of the stairs are in the better position, yes you do have to climb the steps but hey what better way to work up an appetite if you're heading to the top restaurants. Sorry have no numbers.

Your location will of course depend on where they are renovating. Either way you won't be disappointed, you hardly notice that they are working on them, we only knew because of a bit of furniture at the door of a couple.

Hampshire
13. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

Hi There,

I just got back from 2 weeks at the Datai and we only heard some very faint knocking on a couple of occasions but believe me the sounds of the rainforest are far louder!!

We stayed in villa 40 which was lovely - it was tucked away, not overlooked, only a 5 minute stroll to the bar/restaurants/pool and on the opposite side of the resort to where they are currently renovating.

I went off on a stroll around the resort on one day to find the renovations and eventually came across them. Workmen were very tidy, very quiet and were actually difficult to find so I would say you would have no problems.

The Datai is a world class resort and so would not allow any disruption to their guests.

I'm also reliably informed that villas 39 and 41 are equally as fabulous. I emailed the Datai and requested villa 40 and they obliged.

Good Luck!

Katie

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
14. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

Hi Honeys, further to my posting, I am drawn to katielow123's posting, where she stayed in Villa 40, and was mentioning villa 39 & 41..hmm did I mention in earlier postings about these three villas.

Yes, villas 39,40 and 41 are the nicer villas in Datai. I always get this with a notice to Datai of my impending trip-with the hope they are not occupied by long staying guests.

If these villas are not available, get the end suites.

Cheshire, UK
reviews: 5
15. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

I was at the Datai 2 weeks ago in Villa 2 which is one of the upgraded ones. It is Villas 10-19which are being done at the moment. I was the reviewer who said that you could hear some faint knocking of the hammer.. and you could. We also spoke to the people in Villa 5 which should have been closed off as it was next to one of the ones being refurbed and they had more noise.. but they had asked on check in for an upgrade to a superior villa and were told there may be some noise. I didnt see one workman or van whilst there. Apart from the faint hammering, the only evidence was a glimpse through the jungle of a blue plastic sheet across one of the roofs!

It has been said not to go for the villas near the lobby... but i would say our villa was one of the quieter ones so far a buggy noise and pedestrian noise was concerned as we were on a 'cul de sac'. I know some of the villas near the main track from the Beach Club to the road would have had buggy noise. The villas near the beach may also have noise from the pool and beach club. Some people dont want total silence and like to hear noise, others want to feel they are the only people there. Its personal choice. But putting all the noise in context.. it is nowhere near as loud as the jungle and dont let it put you off.

The Datai is the most fantastic place and the staff will look after you This is low season for them as it is ging into the rainy season so up until Sept they will be quite quiet. If you get there and find your villa is noisy, ask to move. They are very accomodating.

To anyone going.. have a fab time.

Georgetown, Penang
reviews: 1
16. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

Honeys,

If anything is going on at The Datai that is not to your liking i.e., building work, ask them to transfer you to The Andaman. Its the sister hotel and on the same beach, with the same standards.

5 star deluxe.

Everything apart from the main building at The Datai is hidden around the jungle, you can't really see very much of the resort unless you are housed in the east or west wings.

Mtiara, hope you & Mrs Mtiara still enjoying europe. Can you bring back some salami ?.

Georgetown, Penang
reviews: 1
17. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

Forgot to say ...... it is the low season now ...... if they are doing a lot of work this is the best chance for them. Can you imagine what it would be like in the high season.

18. Re: Datai Renovations - help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 15, 2009