We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in the Langkawi / The Datai.

Which Langkawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honeymoon in the Langkawi / The Datai.

I feel I need to plan my trip more thouroughly, to get the most out of my stay in Malaysia and was wondering how best to plan it, and if you could advise.

We are visiting Malaysia on my Honeymoon. We are from London, England. We are a young couple (28 & 29 years ols respectively).

We are visiting Langkawi (5days), Penang (2days), KotaKinabalu (5 days), and then ariving in KL (8 nights)

Langkawi - 11/04/05 - 16/04/05.

Hotel: The Datai: 5 Nights

We would like to do the following,what do you think ? And is there anything else you could recommend. Anything i need to know about the hotel ?

Langkawi: Total seclusion, Just relaxing,honeymoon type activities, with 1 day at the Mangrove tour. Ferry ride to Penang. Scuba diving / water activities.

All the hotels have been booked with Breakfast, as we found that half board was proving to be fairly expensive.

May I enquire if the food is halal everywhere in Malaysia, as we only eat halal food, and if you have any recommendations of any nice restaurants / eatery's.

We would like our honeymoon to be a mix of everything, culture, sightseeing, exploring, shopping, dining, and just enjoying the offerings of Malaysia.

We also have not booked the taxi's to and from the airport.

Your recomendations would be much appreciated, as I do not want to regret not doing anything afterwards, when I get back.

Warm Regards

ZKS

Kuching
reviews: 7
1. Re: Honeymoon in the Langkawi / The Datai.

Langkawi has a higher percentage of Malays than Sabah does so more of the food is Halal. You will find that even many of the Chinese places are Halal in Langkawi. Most of the hotel restaurants are also Halal. Food in town is very cheap and very good.

I would definitely get a rental car in Langkawi. You don’t have to have a good sense of direction to dive here. Rental cars are very cheap, it’s almost impossible to get lost, and traffic is very light.

Netherlands
2. Re: Honeymoon in the Langkawi / The Datai.

Hi ZKS, I also went to Malaysia for my honeymoon in Dec 2004 - we did 5 nights in KL and then 8 nights in Langkwai (also the Datai).

First KL - not sure where your hotel is but KL airport is about 45 mins/1 hr away from KL city centre (I didn't know that before). We booked our transfers to and from the airport in advance. May be worth doing this too.

I also had the halal issue. Most places are halal but watch out for the Chinese restaurants as some of those aren't. A lot of KL shops/restaurants are owed by Chinese Malaysians.

In KL we went to china market, also did a day trip out to the Batau caves - really enjoyed that. Also went up the Telecoms tower and to the bridge in the Petronas. If you want to go up the Petronas you have to go early morning (8 am) to queue for the tickets as they only have a set number per day - good news is its free (well it used to be).

With Langkwai - I liked the Datai - if seclusion is what you want - you will get it!! I do recommend you book your transfers to and from the airport. The Datai is quite far away from the rest of the hotels and taxi's often charge extra to go there. We wish we had hired a car, its cheaper else you pay 50 Malaysian rigits just to get the taxi to come out to the hotel. So in a nutshell if your planning to explore the island then i'd recommend hiring a car or a scooter. In langkwai there is quite a bit to do, I would definitely go and do the cable car ride - the views are amazing. Other trips can be the Crocodile farm and bird park.

Good luck with it all.

Oh yeah - KL has amazing shopping malls! So beware....

3. Re: Honeymoon in the Langkawi / The Datai.

Hi SANFAL.

Thanks for the info....much appreciated.

We shall book a car me thinks. As you have stayed in the Datai, may i ask if there are good eateries / restaurants nearby the Datai ?, and what the food at the Datai is like. As i feel it will rather overpriced, and my otherhalf hardly eats.... :)

We have booked B&B at the Datai, at the moment, we anticipate doing the beach for a day or so, and then just galivanting and exploring Langkawi.

We are in Langkawi for 5 days, as contrary to what i was told 5 days would suffice.

Activities planned n Langkawi:

1. Canopy tour in the jungle

2. Mangrove Tour

3. SPA & MASSAGE: arrival package

4. A visit to the DIVE & SNORKEL HEAVEN

Butang Islands, Thailand.

5. 3 hour beginners horse ride at the Equestrian Centre.

6. Stardust Cruise

I am trying to go on this website to get a price: https://www.langkawi-insider.com/booking.html But am not having any joy.

Any thoughts ???

Netherlands
4. Re: Honeymoon in the Langkawi / The Datai.

Well the Datai has 3 restaurants and also a bar area where you can get sandwiches and snacks and some nice milkshakes.

The other option for food is the sister hotel (Andaman) next door - one night we went there to eat but its not really cheaper - more of a change.

The Datai is quite secluded from the other parts of langkwai. If you have a car you can drive 15 - 20 mins and go to the main part of down and try different restaurants. We didn't have a car so were limited as the taxi's charge a lot to come to the Datai so if you want to venture out of the hotel for food - definitely hire a car. The roads are very quiet in Langkwai and you won't have any problems driving there.

Your plan looks good. I would definitely to the cable car ride - its great just to get a birds eye view of the Island (see link below). We didn't do all the things on your list so can't really comment on the rest but it does look like a good variety.

cuti.com.my/Sub/…langkawi_cable_car.htm

Also the Datai have these walks they do around the hotel - early morning and evening where you learn about the local wildlife at the hotel - you can reserve a place at reception also nice to do.

Hope that helps.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Honeymoon in the Langkawi / The Datai.

Hi ZKS

While you're in Langkawi try to book for a boat charter and the captain will bring you around the islands surrounding the Langkawi Island. I did that while i stayed in Tanjung Rhu for my honeymoon. The resort arranged a picnic tour for us, the captain brought us cruising around many little islets nearby and they have some small secluded beaches. WE had a picnic lunch in one of the smaller secluded beaches, just to two of us which was really an unforgettable experience.

Try inquire whether Datai offer similar service.

The mangrove tour is also a great exprience. You'd get the see lots of eagles.

What's your itinerary in KL. Personally i don't think there's much to do in KL except shopping! Would you consider extending 2 more nights in Langkawi, perhaps stay in a different hotel that offers a different experience and cut KL down to 6 nites?

Feel free to drop amu questions that you might have. Enjoy your honeymoon!