We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

Which Malindi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

Hullo All

I am going to Maralal for 3 weeks in August for a work project. My husband is coming out for the last week with my small kids and then I'd like to take them all to the coast. I was thinking of Lamu which I love, but I'd also like them to have the experience of the train trip from Mombasa to Nairobi so I don't think Lamu would work as it is then too far for my small kids ( I always used to go by bus from Mombasa, crapping myself about shifta, before I had kids). So I thought instead maybe the train trip, then a few days in Malindi, and then the train back to Nairobi.

Questions: can you book the train from outside Kenya?

How would one get to Malindi. Would it be preferable to hire a car? I've only been there once, about 20 years ago.

And suggestions of reasonable places to stay in Malindi - something unfussy but not a dive.

thanks!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
1. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

Hi,

This will tell you everything you might want to know about the train (which as you will see only runs 3 nights a week) including booking options

http://www.seat61.com/Kenya.htm#Nairobi to Mombassa by train

If you've got kids a car is probably better than any public transport option, whether you hire a car, or just someone to drive you. A couple of factors being whether you are used to driving in Kenya, and whether you would use the car in Malindi or not.

(The road surface is OK and traffic thins somewhat when you get north of Mtwapa, but the standard of driving gets even worse, if that is possible, because less traffic means they can drive even faster and more suicidally .I know several people who hate that stretch of road north of Mtwapa and won't drive it at night)

Of course you can fly from Nairobi to Malindi

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
2. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

Hi - you can take the train or bus to MBA. Recommended buses are Modern Coast or MASH or Coast Bus. Don't look at any other bus cos.

From MBA, there's a Express Matatu (14 Seater Mini Van) , which is perfectly safe @ cost of apprx $ 4.00 O/W. The matatus to Malindi are more effiicent & comfortable than buses. Or hire out a taxi.

For Mid-Range accomodation in Malindi, have a look @ Kenga Giama & Tumani Jua.

London
3. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

Thanks! Do you think Malindi will be really busy? Should we go to Tiwi or Kilifi instead?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

With the kids, Tiwi, Diani or Kilifi would be better. Better choice of accommodation too..

uk
5. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

malindi is never busy

good accomodation and food at reasonable rate is scorpio villas go half board, large rooms , excellent staff, 4 swimming pools, and private part down on beach

if you want to drive hire a car , if not as said use the malindi express matatus

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
6. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

Agree with PJ, Scorpio Villa would be ideal for you.

Good luck with getting a booking them.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
7. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

I would never go on a matatu with my children. I wouldn't put them at risk. I find matatus dangerous and only use them as a last resort. They probably would enjoy the train experience but as its an overnight journey they wouldn't see very much. I always reduced the amount of time travelling with mine to avoid the 'are we there yet'. I would choose a hotel around Nyali or Bamburi just 20/30 mins from Mombasa, preferably with children's facilities. From there you can visit lots of local attractions such as Haller Park, water park, go-karting or town.

8. Re: Should we go to Malindi/ booking the train Nairobi/Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 16, 2014