We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty

Which Almaty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 56
Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty

We have an upcoming trip planned with Road Scholar to the five 'Stans. We first land in Almaty and have wondered what the cultural norms are for tourist's clothing. It should still be warm in many parts of the five 'Stans, but we assume shorts and sleeveless shirts are not appropriate. Any other restrictions? Short sleeve shirts for men? Women? No open-toed shoes, etc.?

5 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty

You're probably correct in saying shorts and sleeveless shirts are not appropriate. I don't recall seeing any adults wearing shorts but short sleeved shirts and open toed shoes for men and women are commonly worn throughout the 5 "stans"

Boston
2. Re: Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty

Thanks very much. That is helpful.

Almaty
3. Re: Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty

You can wear any clothes except swimwear. You didn't see any adults wearing shorts because was work time and they had more official clothes.

T-shirt and shorts - is normal in summer.

Boston
4. Re: Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty

Thanks for the information. We are looking forward to our visit to Almaty in September.

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty

Hello

we are coming to Almaty in sept.due my husband job/realocation/

i know the sumer is near to end in august..and i would like to know what sort of clothing to bring over .(jumpers,shirts...??..a bit confuse over..)

we are coming from Australia..the winter its nearly over:))

any advise will be much appreciated.TY.Mary

Reply to: Appropriate clothing for tourists in Almaty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted