We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Tokyo to Sendai?

Which Sendai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coolum Beach...
reviews: 14
Day Trip from Tokyo to Sendai?

For those in our family group who have already been to Nikko, and with a visit to Kamakura planned for another day, would a day trip to Sendai and possibly Matsushima in mid January make a pleasant and informative trip?

What could or should we see in that time?

3 replies to this topic
Aoyama Dori and San...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Day Trip from Tokyo to Sendai?

See: marubun-kisen.com/english/…cruise.html and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsushima#Cruise

Lots of great seafood to be had if you're not paranoid of radiation (I'm not).

Coolum Beach...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Day Trip from Tokyo to Sendai?

Neither am I.

While the loss of the Fukushima power station was serious and unfortunate, the impact is limited and relatively restricted. If there were more sights to see in the Fukushima township we'd be visiting that town rather than Sendai, so the family could see for themselves what things are really like. However the main attractions there in winter appear to be the nearby snowfields and they are too far away from the town for a day visit from Tokyo.

Sendai was notable for video of the airport being engulfed after the earthquake. It will be educational to see the community as it is now.

Thanks for the leads. My impression is that in a day we will be pressed to see the key sights in Sendai city while doing justice to Matsushima. We will do our best and the guidance is valued.

Edited: 4:09 am, July 26, 2013
Aoyama Dori and San...
reviews: 26
3. Re: Day Trip from Tokyo to Sendai?

There is plenty of photos online of the devastation. I was curious to see the rebuilding so I went to Shiogama specifically for urban exploration. The remnants left were subtle but striking. The stories I heard about the meters-high wave of water were impressive. The area is rebuilt but there was still artifacts which I found fascinating. I saw the "before" photos and I was able to take my own "after" photos. I'm an amateur photographer (I have pro gear but I don't sell my work).

I also ate two seafood meals in the area to contribute to the local economy. Never gave the radiation thing a second thought, to tell you the truth.

Reply to: Day Trip from Tokyo to Sendai?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted