We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sendai to kyoto

Which Sendai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
reviews: 2
Sendai to kyoto

How do I travel from Sendai to Kyoto? Is there a direct shinkansen train ride?

How long is the journey?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
1. Re: Sendai to kyoto

If you're using JR, you need to make a tranfer in Tokyo. The trip is a little more than 4 hours. You can look it up by using the following:

www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

palo alto
2. Re: Sendai to kyoto

You will transfer trains at the Tokyo Station.One thing to note is on the week day, at rush hour, it is extremely crowded and worth avoiding. It was my first experience of how hectic train stations in Tokyo can be.

singapore
reviews: 2
3. Re: Sendai to kyoto

Thanks for yr prompt replies. I'm planning a visit in early November. Could I ask:

a) Beside Matsushima,are there any nice scenic area to visit during early Nov as a day trip from Sendai? Hoping to catch some autumn colours.

b) If I get the JR East pass and come from Narita airport, can I stop by Nikko first then Sendai? Does the pass cover Narita to Nikko and Nikko to Sendai?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
4. Re: Sendai to kyoto

Autumn foliage season for Tohoku is best during late Oct. Early Nov. is still OK, but try to go as early as possible. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html

Popular sites for autumn foliage in Tohoku include Yama-dera, Ginzan Onsen, Naruko Gorge, Nyuto Onsen, Kaunodate, Hirosaki, Oirase Stream and Towada-ko. But as daytrip from Sendai, I would only include Yama-dera which requires only half a day. Naruko Gorge and Kaunodate are also possible, but each is best to be done as a full daytrip. The others are either too far north or really deserve overnight stays.

Two more interesting places worth considering are Akiu Onsen and Hiraizumi. Akiu Onsen is an easy sidetrip from Sendai requiring less than 1 hr. by bus. The walk up Hiraizumi’s Chuson-ji has beautiful maple colours. Hiraizumi can be done as a daytrip from Sendai, but ideally spend a night there and enjoy side-trips to spectacular Gembikei and Geibikei Gorges.

You can use JR East Pass to get to Nikko which requires a transfer in Utsunomiya.

FYI, JR East has a JR East Pass Special which is good from Sept. 1 to Dec. 31, 2009. It costs 10000 yen and is valid for 3 days within 1 month: jreast.co.jp/e/press/20090601/20090601.pdf

5. Re: Sendai to kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 11, 2010