We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing in Takamatsu

Which Takamatsu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 87
Sightseeing in Takamatsu

My husband and I will be visiting Takamatsu for one overnight in early September. From my reading, it seems we should plan to visit Ritsurin Park and Shikoku Mura Village where houses from all over Shikoku hoave been moved. Can anyone comment on these places. Are there any materials in English available at the Shikoku Mura Village?

Thank you.

San Francisco...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

I was in Takamatsu last fall and was surprised to find a small museum in Ritsurin Park with an exhibit of modern furniture made by George Nakashima, who lived in New Hope, Pennsylvania. I hope the exhibit is still there!

Shikoku Mura Village is defintely worth a visit. I am pretty sure they had an English brochure, and there were some signs in English, so I had no difficulty at all. (On the way from the train station to Shikoku Mura Village, you cross a highway with a Uniqlo store and a Second Avenue store. Uniqlo has good values on clothes in Japanese sizes. Second Avenue sells used gifts, with many good deals on never-used gifts.)

You can also get a ferry from Takamatsu to Naoshima island, where you can visit the Art House Projects and, if you have the time, a couple of small modern art museums. If you like modern art installations, the Art House Projects would be a unique experience!

To do all this, you will need two days!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
2. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

Info. on Shikokumura

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5402.html

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-607.pdf

Photos of Shikokumura:

…wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Shikokumura

Consider spending some time in nearby Yashima

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5405.html

jnto.go.jp/eng/…yashima.html

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

I was in Ritsurin in May, and did not see the modern furniture exibition (but I did not know it could be there, so maybe if you ask).

Naoshima is really wonderful (but I visited it earlier, not when I was in Takamatsu).

I did a half day trip to Kotohira, really liked it.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 106
4. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

Don't think there is really much in Takamatsu.

I would recommend taking the short boat ride to Naoshima and spend some time there. Its a very nice "art island." You can find lots of information on the web. A little off beat and well worth a visit.

Philadelphia...
5. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my questions. I will make it a point to return to this forum to report on our visit to Takamatsu after our trip.

BTW, I did some reading and from what I read there is a permanent museum dedicated to Nakashima in Ritsurin Park. Although I live not far from New Hope, Pennsylvania where he had a studio for many years, I have never been there. However, one of my sons took a school field trip there with a Japanese class from his high school. Even as a teenage boy, he enjoyed the visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
6. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

As you may already know, Kagawa Prefecture is famous for udon. One well-known and popular place for it is right next to the entrance of Shikokumura. It looks like, and indeed is said to be converted from a farmhouse. It is the second listed place in the following webpage:

www.shikokumura.or.jp/intro/intro_08.html

Edited: 11:45 pm, July 17, 2010
Philadelphia...
7. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

I thank everyone for their comments. I am actually writing this from the Hotel Dormy Inn in Takamatsu. This was a little bit of an adventure for us after Kyoto which is pretty English speaking tourist friendly. However, even with our pathetic lack of command of Japanese (and with the help of a Google app translator program), we were able to get ourselves here from Okayama. After a stop at the train station information office to pick up an English map, today we visited Ritsurin Garden. Even though it was beastly hot, we thought it was beautiful and we are glad we went there. It really is lovely and with a break for a green tea ice cream cone from one of the snack places in the park, we survived the heat. Most of the explanatory signs around the garden have English content.

It was a lovely hour long train ride on the Shinkansen from Okayama. The train crosses the Seto Inland Sea on a series of bridges completed in 1988.

Our dining has been interesting. We had lunch at a little random place where we ordered ramen, gyoza (Japanese dumplings) and beer by pointing to what the fellow next to us was having.

Tonight, we ambled down a little alley of a street next to our hotel, looking in vain for a place with an English menu. However, we ended up at a tiny lunch counter of a place for sukiyaki. It seemed to be a mother - daughter operation and the daughter knew a few words of English---enough to ask us if we wanted horse meat or beef. (We went with the beef.)

So, if you don't mind getting out of your comfort zone, and if you don't mind having to do some pantomime, this is a fine city to visit.

8. Re: Sightseeing in Takamatsu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, March 05, 2011