We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First night @ Fukuoka

Which Fukuoka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 1
First night @ Fukuoka

Dear all,

I will be arriving Fukuoka Airport around 4pm and planning to drive to Aso next morning. Since I will be with a group of people and infant. I am wondering where is the best way to stay? (I don't want to stay at Fukuoka downtown as I will come back and stay here when I am leaving Fukuoka) And suggestion which is less than 1.5 hours of drive from the airport?

Many thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 90
1. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

Dazaifu.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
2. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

Hi siushun, how are you!? Nice to see you on the move again.

It sounds like you are planning to rent a car in Fukuoka Airport and start driving right after arrival, correct!? Since you are arriving late in the afternoon, consider staying the first night in Fukuoka which is just a short subway ride away from the airport. Rent a car from Fukuoka the next day and save a day’s rental fee.

Hong Kong, China
3. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

Thanks, Yobeekoo.

Hi William, good to hear from you! We are planning to go in mid April. This time we will be travelling with a group of 10 people, including 4-5 senior citizen (most are 70 years old) and one infant (4 months old).

So I am not planning to stay in any city (Fukuoka) but rural area because It will be difficult to park and travel in city and it's not possible for this group to travel metro.

I am planning to have a 8-9 days driving trip in northern kyushu, arriving and departing in Fukuoka airport (probably only spend less than one day for Fukuoka). And we will be renting a 24 seat bus since my friend got a licnese for that.

Any suggestion and I should be aware of? I don't think we have time for Nagasaki, but wanna go to Beppi and Aso.

Dazaifu and oidehita sounds like a good place? I am sure I will definitely need more of your help! thanks in advanced!

Hong Kong, China
4. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

dear all expert,

may I seek your advice whether there will be any service apartment (3-4 bedroom is fine too) in the Kyushu area? I tried to search online but couldn't find it. Thanks for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
5. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

It goes to show you ARE an experienced traveler. Apparently you have considered the situation and weighted in some important factors. A 24-seater would be a problem in cities with mostly parking towers. I couldn’t offer any advice as I have no experience driving such a large vehicle. The one thing that immediately comes to mind is the difficulty you will encounter if you go for Takachiho Gorge as the road down to the place is steep, narrow and winding. Extra care is required even with a normal 4-seater, let alone a 24-seater!

A rough route search reveals that the drive from Fukuoka Airport to the Mt. Aso area is just a bit over 2 hrs at a distance of 140 km. So you can consider going straight to Aso after arrival if you don’t mind a slightly longer drive. Aso Farmland is a nice resort for a relaxing stay and it is just under 2 hr drive from Fukuoka Airport and is only 20 min drive from Mt. Aso. BTW, note that the nearest airport to Aso is Kumamoto Airport.

If you are after some worthwhile sites in N. Kyushu, take a look at some suggestions in the following thread:

tripadvisor.ca/…38503415

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 12
6. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

I assume you rent a microbus(just need a car driving license) at the airport and drive off south on the toll road toward Kumamoto. If so, anywhere between Fukuoka airport to Tosu, Kurume city along the toll road near an interchange would be a good place to stay. You can try a ryokan for your large party or a low rate hotel with free parking such as Chisun Inn.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/chisun-inn-tosu.en-us.html?aid=339128;label=ufi-M235179;sid=fe86d8d1543e00aac9886d9069bca664;dcid=4;checkin=2012-03-22;interval=1

For ryokans you might check out these:

http://www.travelpod.com/ryokans/Kurume.html

Many smaller ryokans catered for Japanese workers outside of a city center provide basic no meal stay and free parking as you get close to farming area.

This area has great ramen shops everywhere. A tip: If you see many trucks parked, it is good, cheap & quick.

Hong Kong, China
7. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

thanks william and amazinga.

I am wondering whether there is anything to visit in Tosu or Kurume?

I am arriving Fukuoka airport @ 4-ish. So just to be safe and don't want to have a long drive that night in case there is any flight delay.

Regards.

Bryan

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 90
8. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

I am not very familiar with the accommodation in Kyushu, but I think Dazaifu is worth seething before or after visiting southern Kyushu. Kumamoto castle could be interesting also, but I cannot say whether it is really suitable for a group of elderly people. Onsen ryokans along the way should be nice...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
9. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

Kurume:

http://www.kurume-hotomeki.jp/en/

Tosu:

http://www.city.tosu.lg.jp/Category7-0-0.htm

translate.google.co.jp/translate… (click Tourism)

Tosu Premium Outlets:

www.premiumoutlets.co.jp/en/tosu/access/

Not far from Tosu is Yoshinogari Historical Park:

http://www.yoshinogari.jp/en/

Hong Kong, China
10. Re: First night @ Fukuoka

thanks all.

I am wondering whether there is something like below in Kyushu?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g674811-d674274…

We tried that once in Hokkaido and 10 people in a 4bedroom apartment and we really enjoy it. I tried to search for japartment.com and couldn't find any similiar. Either one or two nights in our journey will be nice.

Thanks.