We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area to stay in fukuoka?

Which Fukuoka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, NZ
reviews: 27
which area to stay in fukuoka?

Hi - we are trying to choose between a hotel in Haruyoshi (Il Palazzo) or one in Higashisumuyoshi (Hotel Leopalace) behind Hakata station.. Can anyone please tell me which is best for ease of walking and not too many steps to get to Tenjin shopping as I will have had surgery and won't want to be going up and down too many stairs?? I can't seem to find out if the stations all have escalators. Is Haruyoshi a good place for restaurants etc for the evening? Thanks a lot for your help

London UK
reviews: 20
1. Re: which area to stay in fukuoka?

All the stations have escalators, so you will have no problem accessing the platforms. The trains really do run on time and are seriously punctual. From my limited knowledge of Fukuoka any hotel beside the Hakata station should be good. The metro system is very efficient and will take you to most places. The people are very proud of their traditional ramen dishes and, in addition, a visit ot a yakitori will give you the opportunity to sample a good selection of Japanese food accompanied by wine, sake or beer. If you are adventurous with food try yakitori lottery Look at the menu, which will be in Japanes, and point to a dish, indicate one helping, prepare to be surprised by what is served, eat and enjoy and then try another dish. It is great fun and totally disposes of any preconceptions of what you may like or dislike.

The pedestrian crossings in Fukuoka play music when it is time to cross, with one of the most common pieces of music being "Coming through the rye."

singapore
reviews: 3
2. Re: which area to stay in fukuoka?

Hi I was in Fukuoka Dec and paid II Palazzo a visit. The hotel is elevated so you need to walk up a lot of steps to get in. Thought you should know if you plan to stay there. Otherwise, it is very good location walking distance to Tenjin, restaurants and bars.

I personally would not stay in Hakata station area as it doesnt seem to have much happening there. Tenjin is the place to be for buzz, shops, restaurants and bars.

Another hotel close to LL Palazza(slightly further from Tenjin) is the Hyatt. It is next to Canal city shopping center.

Auckland, NZ
reviews: 27
3. Re: which area to stay in fukuoka?

Thanks so much to Neigey and West Londoner - we have booked into Il Palazzo for the location and I am doing exercises so I can run up the front steps!!

Nerja, Spain
reviews: 30
4. Re: which area to stay in fukuoka?

good choice tui52! Round Hakata station is pretty quiet, Il Palazzo is much better located, enjoy your stay!

5. Re: which area to stay in fukuoka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 03, 2010