We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

Which Nara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gurgaon, India
2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

Hi,

I was initially planning for a 2 day trip in Nara from Kyoto. But the more I read about it, I am increasingly thinking of a day trip from Kyoto rather than the overnight in Nara. Please help with my 2 options below. And I'm a solo, backpacker. Thank you very much.

Option 1

16 Nov - Nara -> Day trip & back in Kyoto

17 Nov - Mt Koyasan -> sightseeing during the day and overnight

18 Nov - Osaka -> sightseeing during the day and overnight

Option 2

16 Nov - Nara -> sightseeing during the day and overnight

17 Nov - Nara -> sightseeing during the day and overnight

18 Nov - Osaka -> sightseeing during the day and overnight

Shoalhaven...
reviews: 151
1. Re: 2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

I would choose option 1 without a doubt.

Nara can easily be done in a day from kyoto.

I love Koyasan, it is a very unique place and give a real look into cultural/religious Japan

Gurgaon, India
2. Re: 2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

Thank you. Option 1 it is then. I just needed that little nudge to go in for the first option.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
3. Re: 2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

I haven't travelled the route from Nara to Koyasan, but Hyperdia suggests its only a 40 min trip from Nara to Shinimamiya where you pick up the line to Koyasan. I would go to Nara from Kyoto, stay the night and then head to Koyasan the following morning. I see no reason to go back to Kyoto. I went to Nara for the day and wished I'd had the time to stay the night as its a charming place. I also went to Koyasan overnight and it was one of the highlights of the trip.

Ipoh, Malaysia
reviews: 21
4. Re: 2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

I am planning a trip from Kyoto to Yoshino for 3 days 2 nights. My plan is to go to see cherry blossoms in Yoshinoyama.

I need some advise,firstly the transport. From Kyoto to Yoshino by train. There are few trains, which one is more recommendable?

Secondly, lodging. Shall I book a hotel in Yoshino or Yoshinoguchi? From Yoshinoguchi need to a train transfer to Yoshino then shuttle bus up to the mountain to see cherry blossoms.

Are 2 nights ok?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
reviews: 1
5. Re: 2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

Re transport by rail, see: http://tinyurl.com/m8l5yhq

I guess you're mistakenly citing Yoshinoguchi, which is on a JR line you're not supposed to take when headed to Mt Yoshino...

'2nights' in Mt Yoshino is 'ok,' IMO, if you like to soak in sakuras to your heart's content. But many if not most visitors will decide to stay 1night if at all. Hate this to be a downer; yet, actually lots of other visitors will (have to) treat Mt Yoshino as a day trip...

6. Re: 2 day in Nara vs Day Trip and 1 day @ Mt Koyasan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, November 13, 2014