We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok
reviews: 2
Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

I was told to take Narita Express but am wondering whether I need to change to another train or it goes directly to Shinagawa station. Also, can I pay by credit card for a fare?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 26
1. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

No change is required on the Narita Express. Credit card is accepted if you purchase the ticket at the "Green Window"(Midori-no-Madoguchi) ticket office or at the airport.

Aoyama Dori and San...
2. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

The Narita Express will de-couple and split at Tokyo Station. Half will go to Yokohama and Ofuna and the other half will go to Shinjuku and beyond. You just have to be sure you board the correct (Yokohama) half of the train at Narita Airport. Your car number, seat number, etc. will all be in Japanese so you will need to verify this before the train leaves. If you get in the wrong half, you won't be able to get to the correct half because there is no passage between the halves.

Bangkok
3. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

Route246

Thanks for a detail. I am kind of confused when you said " half ". What you meant by that ?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

Carriages number 1 t0 4 go to Shinagawa and 5 to 8 to Shinjuku.............but check your ticket as not sure of which goes where ? Just tell the ticket seller when you buy the tickets and get the car right.

It takes about 5 miniutes to organise this so plenty time to think if you are in the right section...........I think the map in the carriage may tell you where it is going

Aoyama Dori and San...
5. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

One more thing. The Narita Express train set is relatively short compared to the Sobu Line platform that it stops at. And I mean the platform is very, very long to accomodate a very long train. Be sure you are at the correct end of the platform (north end) or you will be left behind. The metal signs hanging above the platform should say in English the car number and have a picture of the Narita Express (NEX). There should also be designations on the platform surface (concrete part) designating where the doors will be lined up.

There will be people standing around, including many foreigners, on the platform with suitcases ready to board if you are in the correct area. If you're standing alone then you are probably in the wrong area.

Bangkok
6. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

One last curiosity I have on timing of immigration process and suitcase pick-up. My ETA flight is 7:30 so do you think I can get passed immigration and pick-up a suitcase and catch the 8:10 N’EX.

Tokyo
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

Think you will struggle to be on the train within 40 minutes.

8. Re: Best train route from Narita Airport to Shinagawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 26, 2009