We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 13
Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

I am hoping to get some opinions about my rough itinerary to see if it makes sense: am I trying to do too much, too little. Are there any off-the-beaten path experiences you can recommend so my husband and I are not doing all typical tourist activities?

We are travelling to Japan from NYC 10/12 through 10/26.

Domo arigatou gozaimasu.

10/11 (Wed): Depart NYC

10/12 (Thu): Arrive Narita in late afternoon

10/13 (Fri): Tokyo

Ride the JR Yamamote around the city

Oedo-Onsen Monogatari

4 p.m. Kabuki

10/14 (Sat): Tokyo

Ueno Park or Yoyoji Park

Asakusa

Akihabara "electric town"

10/15 (Sun): Tokyo

Shinjuku

Takashimaya

Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office Observation Station

Drink at Park Hyatt Tokyo

Kabuki-cho

10/16 (Mon): Tokyo to Fukuoka

Tsukiji Fish Market

Take Shinkansen to Fukuoka

10/17: (Tue.): Fukuoka

I haven't done the research yet on Fukuoka

10/18: (Wed): Fukuoka

10/19: (Thu): Fukuoka to Hiroshima to Miyajima

Hiroshima Peace Park

Ferry to Miyajima

10/20: (Fri): Miyajima to Kyoto

Himeji

Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavillion)

Kiyomizu

10/21: (Sat): Kyoto

Nara-koen

Todai-ji Temple

Kasuga Shrine

10/22: (Sun): Kyoto

Kurama Fire Festival or Jidai Mitsuri Festival

10/23: (Mon): Kyoto to Tokyo

10/24: (Tue): Tokyo

Mt. Fuji-Hakone (either Sunrise Tour or on own)

10/25: (Wed): Tokyo

Return to places we liked

10/26: (Thu): Tokyo to NYC

New York
11. Re: Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

Hello Japantravelteacher. I didn't know about the cable car so thanks for that information. Also, your suggestion about sending our baggage from Tokyo to Kyoto ahead of time is an absolutely fabulous idea. The thought of having to drag our bags around Hiroshima was a big concern so it's a relief to have this option. Thank you.

Originally, I thought it would be a good idea to go from Tokyo to Hiroshima and spend time there before moving on to Miyajima for the night. But then I went to japaneseguesthouses.com and read about the early dinners the ryokans serve and how, if you're late (after 5:30 p.m.), you miss dinner but still have to pay. And the restaurants in the area basically shut down at 5 p.m.

But if I can travel from Tokyo (maybe 9 a.m. shinakansen) to Hiroshima, spend time at the Peace Museum and Park, then travel to Miyajima and arrive at the inn before 5:30 p.m. I think I'd prefer to arrange my itinerary that way so my husband and I can spend the following morning and early afternoon exploring Miyajima without having to rush back to Hiroshima. I'm just worried about missing dinner. Is this plan feasible?

Tokyo
reviews: 1
12. Re: Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

Rather than rush Hiroshima and risk missing your meal, it's probably advisable to stick to your original plan.

Regarding Hiroshima to Miyajima, there is also a train from Hiroshima station to the port where you catch the ferry. There is also a fast boat from Hiroshima Port direct to Hiroshima should you be tight for time. Get a taxi from the station to the port.

Personally, I think Hiroshima has a lot to offer besides the peace park and memorial. If you can, a full day there (or more if you can spare) would not be a waste.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Japan
reviews: 15
13. Re: Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

You can check the train time table here:

grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

to find the schedule for getting from Tokyo to Hiroshima. It's about a 4 hour trip. Are you using rail pass? You would certainly save money on this trip if you do.

So, if you left Tokyo at 8:30 AM, you arrive Hiroshima about 12:30 PM. So, yes, it could be a little bit tight. I do not know the inn you are staying in, although I have walked by it. I usually stay at the Iwaso Ryokan, and they seem to be rather flexible about dinner time. But you do want to do dinner at the Ryokan, it is a very unique experience.

Another idea would be to stay in Hiroshima for the night you arrive, then you would have a very leisurely day to see Miyajima the next day, spend the night, then off mid morning for Kyoto and still have an afternoon in Kyoto. Oh choices!!!!

About the luggage delivery service, your Tokyo Hotel can make those arrangements for you, and if not, they will direct you to the closest place to do so. It is very easy and common practice in Japan, and your luggage will not get lost and it will arrive on time.

New York
14. Re: Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

Thank you Yoyogi. I'm not sure we'll be able to spend a full day in Hiroshima but if we save it for after Miyajima as you mentioned, we will at least be able to relax and enjoy the area for half a day before heading to Kyoto where we plan check into our hotel late. Are there any particular sites you recommend besides the Peace Museum and Park? Do the attractions start to close up early (4:30-5 p.m.) like they do in Kyoto?

Japantravelteacher, yes, so many choices!!! This whole exercise of itinerary planning has opened up my eyes to how much there is to see and do in Japan. As it is, I have already had to eliminate the Fukuoka portion of my itinerary which is very sad, but would rather not be too rushed.

We plan to purchase the 14-day JR Rail Pass before the trip. If I understand correctly, this will allow us to take any JR line in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima, and also include the train and ferry from Hiroshima to Miyajima. Please let me know if I have misunderstood.

Also, I received a response from japaneseguesthouses.com and Momijiso is available and estimated to be 33,600 JPY for two for the night including dinner and breakfast. I have also now requested availability and rates for Iwaso and am hoping it will not be too expensive.

Tokyo
15. Re: Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

I assume things close early. Other sights are the A-Bomb Dome which has been preserved in its post bombing state - an extraordinary sight - this is pretty much in the Peace Park or next to it so just a short stroll away from the memorial.

Hiroshima Castle is interesting (although it cheats as it is a 1970s rebuild I think - but indicative of samurai castle style). My favourite spot is the Shukkeien Garden which is lovely (cab ride from the Peace area I think).

Also if you have time for lunch you could try the speciality there of okonamiyake which is like a big savoury pancake. Pop into the tourist office just by the Peace Park for maps and info as your first stop - they have lots of good information in English. Just outside the office is a dock for boat trips too - we didn't do one and I can't remember why but the option is there.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
16. Re: Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

Yes, the JR Pass covers the ferry from Hiroshima to Miyajima.

17. Re: Tokyo-Fukuoka-Miyajima-Kyoto-Tokyo Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 18, 2009