We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan in August

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 20
Japan in August

Hi All

I would very much like to travel to Japan (starting with Tokyo) between 4th August till 20th August. I am certain some of these questions have been answered (so please point me in the right direction) . My mums birthday is on the 11th. So want to celebrate it out there.

If not, can someone help:

1) Is this is a good time to travel to Japan. I heard there are a few national holidays and festivals during this time. I am really into the culture so dont mind this at all. Just want to know if its going to be a good time?

2) What kind of weather can I expecT?

3) The guide says to pre-book tours/trains and flights. Since I want to go to Okinawa, Osaka, Fukouka. Should i pre-book this because of popularity/price/availability during this time?

4) im thinking of climbing mount fuji. is this an ok time to do it?

5)any other advice?

Any tips would be really appreciated :)

BLaME

London
reviews: 61
1. Re: Japan in August

Hello:

1) There should be plenty of fireworks displays and also the o-bon festival around 10th to 18th August. I've never been to it, but I've heard the bonfire festival in Daimonji-yama in Kyoto is good (mid August) but probably crowded.

2) Hot and humid, but maybe less so in Hokkaido or in the mountains or by the coast. Walking around Tokyo could be unpleasant.

3) You should book the flights and long distance shinkansen in advance if you can.

4) Climbing Mt Fuji in August is the best time: the snow will have melted at the summit by then. Do it over night and arrive at the top for sunrise. Hundreds of people do it every night so you can't get lost but you do need to have decent gear (preferably boots or at least sturdy trainers, and a good quality fleece) and a

torch. You can take a night bus from Shinjuku especially designed for climbers.

5) Get out of the big cities: Nikko, Kamakura or Hakone are very easy to reach from Tokyo on a day trip. Get a JR rail pass, but it will be a lot quicker to fly from Tokyo to Kyushu.

All the best

Jon

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Japan in August

Japan in August is really hot and humid. It is not my favorite time of year. It is also obon time, so yes there will be a lot of cultural events but you should definitely pre-book your flights, trains, etc. because most company employees will have it off and also like to travel during this time. Flights and hotels get expensive. More info here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2286.html

reviews: 19
3. Re: Japan in August

Japan is really really hot and humid in August. My first trip there was in August, and it was very uncomfortable. I now go in October, which is more pleasant.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 6
4. Re: Japan in August

Japan in August is not a good idea.Very hot and humid and because everybody want to take few days off, Hotels and trains are crowded and expensive.Booking could be very difficult.I think October is much better if have choice. It also is a high season but since all students are back to school by this time and rains in September will be gone, you can enjoy your stay.

If you are coming to crime Mt,Fuji, then August is the season.

London, United...
reviews: 408
5. Re: Japan in August

If you look for cultural events and traditional stuff, August is not a bad timing to travel to Japan. As others said, the temperature and humidity would be high. Well, even now it is so it is up to you.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 87
6. Re: Japan in August

I lived once in London and for British people and others living a bit further north Japan could be steaming hot and humid in Summer, unpleasantly so. Good news though: there is air-con indoors (which in Britain I found lacking sometimes), and indeed fireworks in Japan are really something, a proper form of art produced by stubborn old masters with pride. Girls and ladies in pretty yukata, green-tea syrup and azuki beans flavored shaved ice, and ice-chilled beer are common here in August. Then, there is also the joy of climbing up the high mountains or bathing in open air onsen facing the ocean. I've just had chilled soba noodles after onsen and drinking icy beer, I confess that I'm so glad to be in Japan.

Edited: 8:13 am, June 14, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 87
7. Re: Japan in August

The link gives Information on festivals throughout Japan. Not all the festivals are covered (there are matsuris at the town quarter level), and Google translate has a poor habit of translating proper nouns in Chinese instead of Japanese, but you might get the idea.

translate.google.co.jp/translate…

August has its minuses and bonuses. Going to northern Tohoku and Hokkaido for a climate a bit closer to Britain with less humidity might be recommended.

Edited: 8:20 am, June 14, 2013
London
reviews: 20
8. Re: Japan in August

Thank you very much everyone! :)..this really helps me form my trip well! :)

Osaka, Japan
9. Re: Japan in August

on the 10th of August, Naniwa yodogawa fireworks display will be held in Osaka city!!

Aye,many English teachers from the UK went home during summer here well too hot and muggy for them when I went to old NOVA school !! However they missed many events including fireworks displays as summer is fireworks season in Japan!!

10. Re: Japan in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, July 04, 2013