We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must buy from Japan !!

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
delhi
Must buy from Japan !!

Nice People!

I am open to as many opinions as possible based on you kind people's interest and experience - MY QUESTION: what 'particularly' are the 'MUST BUY' products that one must buy from JAPAN?

Yes there is globalization, standardization, China-nization, Departmental store-ization of products but still, there are always something special, peculiar that is a recommended purchase?

Welcome one, welcome all ... PLEASE contribute any/all ideas generously ...

THANKS!

56 replies to this topic
Sendai, Japan
reviews: 50
31. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

sweets and candies :)

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 84
32. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

When you leave either from Narita or Haneda, you will pass by fee souvenir shops. I particularly liked the Tokyo banana custard cakes. Delicious and surely make good pressie for your relatives or friends back home

Munich, Germany
reviews: 2
33. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

Fruit gums - they come in all kinds of flavors, such as strawberry, grape, grapefruit, and they don't mix them, but sell each flavor separately.

Something with macha (= green tea).

A fan, at least if you're traveling in summer.

And something from an electronics shop. In Japan, you'll buy it right from the source :-)

So I bought a lens cover for my camera (a polite salesman found it for me and bowed to me) and some on-ear headphones (a polite saleswoman made sure they had a 3 mm plug and used her English for some small talk with me).

Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 1
34. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

1. Kimono! Or, realistically, at least a nice yukata.

2. Royce chocolates - their matcha almond ones are a Narita airport exclusive.

3. e-Mooks - which are magazines that come with premium gift items and are severely overpriced outside Japan. I loved the one by Tsumori Chisato which have a really cool cat-design handbag.

4. Anime figures from Akihabara, and Rement miniatures.

Cheers, Angela ^ ^

http://etuitrove.wordpress.com/

Australia
35. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

We purchased the decorative fabric panels, I think they may be called Noren. One for ourselves with a Geisha and a shrine. For my mother in law swallows flying through willow branches. We framed them once we got them home.

Another favourite purchase was a child's chopstick practice game. From memory we purchased it from one of the big toy stores in Tokyo - either Kiddyland in Harajuku or Hakuhinkan in Ginza. It has a very "kawaii" package and inside is a bowl, chopsticks and cute little yellow beans in all shapes with faces.

My girls and I love Hello Kitty so of course there are lots of items to choose from.

Visit a Tokyu Hands store for lots of novel items. The 100Yen stores are great for packaged sweets, chopsticks, stationary, and cheap fans. If you are after upper market fans - Yen stores aren't the place.

Tokyo, Japan
36. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

Interesting stuff from Japan here: www.japanesegeek.com

Santa Monica...
reviews: 2
37. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

Go to the Kit Kat store in Ikebukuro in the Seibu department store

USA
reviews: 1
38. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

Wagashi don't keep well, I reckon.

Coventry, United...
reviews: 9
39. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

An Apple Macbook Air. Japan is the cheapest place in the world at the moment, apparently!

Seattle
reviews: 23
40. Re: Must buy from Japan !!

Visit MURORAN port many time . I will visit the welcome post run by senior center senior Japanese lady sale the old beautiful silk Kimono obi for 25 dollars. If is a new kimono obi new will be 500-2000 USD.so far I have about 6 of them at my home hanging like a art DECOR . This is the best gift from Japan. Will give to my 2 grand daughters when they are little older. go to any flea market in japan you will see them sale the beautiful silk old Kimono OBI .

Reply to: Must buy from Japan !!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted