We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 places to bring young children???

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Top 3 places to bring young children???

Hi Tokyo Experts,

I will be bringing my 4 and 6 year olds to Tokyo in end Nov. What would be the top 3 places to bring them? I have 4 full days in total...

I am thinking of the following:

1. Tokyo Disneyland (buy the 2 day pass, so more time to look around, no rush if cannot complete all the rides on Day 1)

2. Hello Kitty Land- is it worth it for young kids?

3. What else? Odaiba?

Separately, what is the weather like at that time- I see that average annual temp in Nov is about 9-16 deg, so I guess have to dress the children warmly?

Thank you very much!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
1. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

Hi, Fairyprincess,

Yes, No.1 would be Tokyo Disneyland.

2 is actually Sanrio Puroland. www.puroland.co.jp/english/welcome.html

3 If you're going to stay in the city, Ueno Zoo is a good place. Or Tama Zoo in the outskirts would be better yet -- as well as a few more parks. http://www.tokyo-zoo.net/english/index.html

If you like marine life, Sunshine Aquarium is right in town in Ikebukuro. There's a planetarium, too.

Here's a site that might give you some ideas. http://www.tokyoessentials.com/kids.html

Look for a book titled, "Kids' Trips in Tokyo." It's got lots of suggestions.

Cheers!

Singapore
2. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

Thanks very much:

All are great suggestions...

I may consider the aquarium as well...

Any other good ideas or anyone has done anything interesting with young children?

I think weather then is cold, so probably more indoor type of places, rather than outdoors...

Thanks so much!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
3. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

It's not that cold. In fact, Tokyo is rarely "cold" these days.

You'll be fine outdoors. If the sun is out, it'll be very nice.

If you're worried about the cold, just make sure your children have hats/caps and gloves/mittens along with a jacket. It'll make a BIG difference.

They also sell "Hokka-ron," disposable 12-hour "heating pads" which come in various sizes and shapes at any drugstore/convenience store/department store. You can put in your pocket, line the bottom of your shoes, or even stick it on to your t-shirt and keep your tummy or back warm! (DON'T put directly on the skin as you might end up with a deep skin burn, but on an undershirt or t-shirt is fine.)

Hokka-ron (or any similar brand) is my BEST friend in the dead of winter or when I'm skiing! :-)

Singapore
reviews: 1
4. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

>>1. Tokyo Disneyland (buy the 2 day pass, so more time to look around, no rush if cannot complete all the rides on Day 1)

>>2. Hello Kitty Land- is it worth it for young kids?

If your kids are girls, then they will like Sanrio Puroland. Otherwise I don't think boys will like it.

For Disney, 2 day pass only allows you to visit Disneyland and DisneySea on 2 different days, with one park on each day, not park hopping. You are still not able to see or take most attractions with 2 days pass. Actually for first time visit, 3 days is minimum.

Singapore
5. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

Thanks IWM99,

I was thinking of just Disneyland for 2 days- did not hear good reviews re Disneysea, so plan to give it a miss...

Do you have any feedback? THanks very much!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
6. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

Disney SEA is far better than Disney LAND! For adults. :-) The shows, the food, the rides -- it's entertainment for the young at heart!

For your children, Disneyland will probably be more enjoyable.

Melbourne
reviews: 133
7. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

Hi Fairypricess88, If you do decide to go to Disneland or Disneysea just be prepared to pay a fortune without the guarantee of getting on any rides at all. We were there last week and it was truly horrendous. How anyone with young children can queue for 2 hours is beyond me! If you are happy to pay and just walk around the park I would choose Disneysea - it is wonderful to look at. We left after one hour after arriving at 10.30 in the morning to find we could not get on any rides before 1.30 (we were leaving for the airport at 2.30). Some rides were not available until after 3.00 even using the fastpass. Lee

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
8. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

>>We were there last week and it was truly horrendous.<<

Hi, Leer,

When did you go? If it was between September 19 - 23, you may have hit the 5-day weekend called Silver Week. Or the following week would have been the last week of summer vacation, right before school starts, so last minute visitors would have packed the place. October 1st would have been "Tokyo Day" when kids going to school in Tokyo gets a day off and there was a special 1,000 yen discount if your bought your tickets are 7-11.

You have to plan when you're going carefully, but if you go on a "normal" day (mid-week), there are very few lines lines. If you go on a rainy day (or it looks like it MIGHT rain), it's even emptier yet.

For Fairyprincess, November 3 is a national holiday and since Disney Halloween ends on that day, that weekend will be crowded. November 21-23 is a 3-day weekend, so these dates should also be avoided. Weekends in general are bad.

Leer, hope you have a chance to go again!

Yokohama
9. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

hi Fairyprincess88,

I agree with Disneyland and Hello Kitty

3. Kidzania Tokyo.

www.kidzania.jp/tokyo/about/e_index.html

4. Miraikan at Odaiba.

http://www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/en/

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 17
10. Re: Top 3 places to bring young children???

I'll be hitting Disney from Nov 4-6! Let's hope that it's not crowded then... !*Crosses fingers and toes*