We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover Tokyo

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 4
Stopover Tokyo

We have an 8 hour stopover at Tokyo airport. Is there anything we can do in that time. We've never been to Japan before and don't know much about the city. We had a similar stopover at Heathrow last trip and we caught the tube into London and had a drink at at pub. Don't know if there is someplace close at hand we could have a look at if we left the airport. Help!!

Coldoll

Aoyama Dori and San...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Stopover Tokyo

You could catch a Keisei Skyliner to Keisei Ueno Station, exit and walk across the street to Ameyoko (depending on the time of day of your stopover), walk around, eat something at a diner and then catch a Skyliner back to the airport. Transit time on the Skyliner is just under 1 hour each way, with departures 2-3 times per hour.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Stopover Tokyo

You are flying into Narita Airport outside Tokyo?

The town of Narita, 12 minutes away, has the Naritasan temple complex, reached by a street of restaurants, traditional shops (OK, souvenier shops) and the like. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6401.html You could also wander any little neighborhood you find.

Back at the airport, you might want to look into the dayrooms and showers, so you can continue refreshed. narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_37.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
3. Re: Stopover Tokyo

As Route suggested, I think Ueno is a good choice. You will get a chance to eat a nice Japanese meal since there are all types of restaurants at Ueno. Ameyoko Market is also quite interesting. Besides the market, there are enough regular shops at Ueno to keep you occupied for a couple of hours.

Be sure to get back to Narita Airport with at least 60 to 75 minutes before your flight to clear immigration and security. Late afternoon outbound immigration at Narita could have queues of up to 20 minutes.

Train schedules are available at Hyperdia so you can plan your return journey. If you end up going to Ueno, your two stations should be "Narita Airport" and "Keiseiueno".

http://www.hyperdia.com

Aoyama Dori and San...
reviews: 26
4. Re: Stopover Tokyo

I'm not sure if this is a fair number. Assuming you're talking about using the train (because using a taxi is going to take you 12 minutes just to get out of the airport grounds due to traffic), the time spent walking or using a taxi in Narita is going to extend that 12 minutes. Once you arrive at Keisei Ueno Station you are basically across the street from the interesting stuff. I'm not sure what the time consumption is going to be in Narita to visit the temple or get a good meal. Do you know what this number is? I'm not criticizing the suggestion because it is a viable option but arriving in Ueno (or even in Nippori if you just want to experience Japan and get a quick meal) is a 1 minute walk to the interesting area.

<<<The town of Narita, 12 minutes away>>>

Sydney
5. Re: Stopover Tokyo

Thnk you all very much for your imput. I will check out all options as it would be a shame not to see at least a little of Tokyo outside the airport. Will report back.

Coldoll

Sydney
6. Re: Stopover Tokyo

Hi Roger, Thanks for your reply. If we just go to Narita is it a walk from the terminal or should be take a cab? I am completely new to Tokyo and would feel comfortable if we were just a short trip away from the airport. I will download a map of the area. Any more suggestions very welcome.

Colleen

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
reviews: 30
7. Re: Stopover Tokyo

If you're going to stay in Narita, see this link:

http://www.mgnewman.com/Naritax/

I recommend going to Ueno and see Ameyoko. It'll be so much fun. In Japan, trains run on time 98% of the time, so you don't have to worry about missing your flight.

8. Re: Stopover Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2010