We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suica and Pasmo

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 267
Suica and Pasmo

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is the difference between these 2 rail store value card?

Thanks.

Tasmania
reviews: 39
1. Re: Suica and Pasmo

Looks like they are very similar. Got this off internet.

"Suica is the rechargeable prepaid IC card of JR East in the Greater Tokyo, Sendai and Niigata regions. Introduced in 2001, Suica was initially limited to use on JR trains, but it is now also valid on non-JR trains in Tokyo. In addition, Suica can be used in place of ICOCA in the Kansai and Sanyo regions."

"PASMO is the rechargeable IC card of Tokyo's railway and subway companies other than JR, but it is also valid on JR trains. PASMO's predecessor, the non-rechargeable Passnet, will not be recognized by automatic ticket gates from March 15, 2008. Remaining balances can be refunded or transfered to PASMO"

You can get the SUICA / N'EX deal at the airport. There is no similar PASMO deal.

San Francisco...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Suica and Pasmo

I used Suica for subways and trains (all rail companies) in the Tokyo metropolitan area; it was great! I was not able to use it in Kyoto; maybe I was doing something wrong.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
reviews: 38
3. Re: Suica and Pasmo

They are interchangeable. Suica is issued by the JR and Pasmo is issued by the subways and other private companies.

4. Re: Suica and Pasmo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 22, 2009