We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nikko accomodation

Which Nikko hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 1
nikko accomodation

Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonable accomodation in Nikko - I am thinking about the Hotel Seikoen, Nikko Park Lodge, Catnip - any recommendations? 2 adults & an 11yr old we would like a room with a bathroom & will be arriving by JR train. Look forward to any replies that can help us plan for our stay early April. Thanks

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
1. Re: nikko accomodation

Thought I replied to that but do not see it. Our son, wife and two boys ages 10 & 8 stayed at the Turtle Inn, and recommended it for us. we went and were quite pleased.

They claim to cater to English speaking people, and they do. The check in desk and eating area had English speaking people. Most of guests when we were there were English speaking.

They do serve meals at extra charge. Small place with maybe a dozen rooms so reservations needed. some rooms western style some Japanese style. It is right on a small river, bit of a hike from train station but we did ok with it.

Funny but we were in dining room. There were two other couples nearby, when the room started shaking. I have been in enough earthquakes on west coast to know what it was, but they were from a place that did not have them. They looked pretty shocked, "did you feel that?" They seemed relieved when I told them. Next morn was the worst day on the trains. since it delayed several trains

England
2. Re: nikko accomodation

Thanks very much for the advice - I have had a look at their website & it looks great! I'll reserve a room there!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
3. Re: nikko accomodation

Though a bit of a walk from train station we found it convenient location for the temple area, and to catch a bus to Lake Chuzenji. I recommend trip to chuzenji, big lake and some nice waterfalls Not sure of your other plans but an 11 year old might enjoy something other than temples.

Kyoto our favorite place in Japan, but Nikko would be next. I liked the rural and mountain setting. we spent two nights there could have easily spent another night.

England
4. Re: nikko accomodation

Thanks again for the advice. Our son is very interested in Samurai so I'm hoping to find accomodation in Kakunodate ( I visited there about 20 years ago & it made a big impression on me) - have you been? If so any recomendations for accomodation? We are also viiting Hiroshima & Miyajima & struggling to find accomodation in our price bracket there too. Advice gratefully received!! Apart from that we will spend a week in Hokkaido but there I know pretty well as I lived in Akan for over a year - long time ago but I hope to retrace my steps!!! Once again thank you & please feel free to advise on other places that may be of interest to our son!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
5. Re: nikko accomodation

Well Miyajima next after Nikko for fav places.

We left Kyoto early for Hiroshima got there 10 AM or so and spent night there, but Hiroshima a bit depressing so we went on to Miyajima which was great relaxing place. we went back to Tokyo next morn

My fav temple in Miyajima, wife's fav in Nikko

Takayama next fav place

I could write a book about our month in Japan and all the helpful people

6. Re: nikko accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 22, 2009