We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hakone Free Pass

Which Hakone-machi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Hakone Free Pass

Hi,

We will be travelling to Japan from 29 April - 6 May which unfortunately clashes with the peak holiday period for Japanese.

We have already booked a serviced apartment in Tokyo for the week and yesterday I reserved accommodation in Hakone for one night on 30 April as other days were unavailable.

We will want to purchase the 2 day Hakone Free Pass which is 5,000 Yen per person. My question to those that have used this Odakyu train route and Free Pass is what chance is there of not being able to get a train to Hakone due to that week being a very busy period for travel? I believe that trains run very frequently so imagine that it would be no problem, perhaps the worst being that we might have to stand.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
1. Re: Hakone Free Pass

If you want a direct train, you can pay extra to take the Romance Car from Shinjuku. It has reserved seats and is the easiest way to go. However, the seats do get quickly filled. You can always take the commuter express train (kyuko) to Odawara, then transfer to the local train that goes to Hakone Yumoto. The cost of the express is included in the Hakone Free Pass. Express trains leave Shinjuku about once every 10 minutes. If a train crowded, wait for the next one -- you'll be the first in line!

Check train schedules at www.hyperdia.com

Or scroll down and unclick "Romance Car" to find your Odakyu train schedule.

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
2. Re: Hakone Free Pass

Taking the Romance Car, even with the supplement, would be my recommendation on the outbound to Hakone. The seats are much nicer, and you will get a nice view during the day. Coming back, it's not too big of a deal, especially when it's dark when you can't see a thing outside.

3. Re: Hakone Free Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hakone-machi
More Hakone-machi Topics