We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

Which Hakone-machi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco Bay...
Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

We are planning on a 3 days 2 nights trip from Tokyo to Fuji-Hakone-Izu area. The trip idea came from the model plan on JNTO website. Here is the link - jnto.go.jp/eng/…index.html

The plan does not give a transportation detail. After reading some posts here and there and looked into the Okakyo railway website, I think I can use a 3 days Fuji-Hakone Free Pass to cover most of transportation in Fuji lake area and Hakon including train ride between Tokyo and Odawara. The part that goes from Gotemba to Mishima then to Shugenji and Shimoda and return back to Odawara will probably need additional purchase.

Can anyone who has done this route before give me some suggestion on transportation and accommodation? Our budget for accommodation is 25,000 yen per person. We will like a comfortable room that are not too old and tired looking with good bath.

If we travel as the travel plan suggested on the JNTO website, can it be done in 3 days without too rush?

Nagoya, Japan
reviews: 40
1. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

KKCA,

I do not understand your planned route. Is it:

Odawara...Hakone-Yumoto...(Hakone)...Gotemba...Mishima...Shuzenji...Shimoda...(Ito)...(Atami)...(Odawara)...?

With two nights? Where do you spend your nights? In Hakone and Shuzenji? Have you checked the route and time through Shuzenji, Shimoda, Atami to (Tokyo?)?

San Francisco Bay...
2. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

Hi Nomonomo,

Sorry to have confused you. My route is as suggested in the Japan national Tourist Organisation. Here is the 3-day model trip plan to Fuji, Hakone and Izu

Day 1 (June 2)

Tokyo - Odawara - Chokoku-no-mori Art Museum - sightseeing in Gora - sightseeing in Owakudani - Gogendai

Day 2 (June 3)

Togendai (kojini) - sightseeing around the Lake Ashinoko - Mishima - Shuzenji

Day 3 (June 4)

Shuzenji - sightseeing in the town - sightseeing around Amagi Point - Kawazu - Shimoda - Odawara - Tokyo

The detail is on the jnto.go.jp/eng/…index.html

My questions are

1. Accommodation - are Gogendai and Shuzenji a good place to spend a night? Or I can stay in nearby town. Any good rykon recommendation?

2. How do we handle our luggage when we sightseeing? Is there locker in bus or train station? After we check out inn, we are not likely to go back. So can't really store luggage in the inn we stay.

3. Travel - I assume that we can use 3 days Fuji Hakone Free pass to cover the Hakone and Lake area. How about the route to Shimoda?

4. We are returning back to San Francisco on 5:30pm flight on June 4th, the 3rd day of this side trip to Hakone/Fuji/Izu. We will need to be in Narita Airport by 3:30pm. That means, we will probably need to get back to Tokyo station no later than 2:30pm. That does not leave us much time on June 4th for Day 3 Shuzenji - Shimoda. Shall I just forget Izu and just stay around Fuji Lake area?

Here is our entire Japan trip plan.

Day 1 (may 26)

Arrive Narita - Ginza

Day 2 (May 27) - Day 4 (May 29)

Tokyo

Day 4 (May 29) - Day 6 (May 31)

Nikko

Day 6 (May 31) - Day 8 (June 2)

Tokyo

Day 8 (June 2 ) - Day 10 (June 4)

Fuji/Hakone - return back SF

Will really appreciate comments.

New York
3. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

Hi KKCA,

I've reviewed the model plan on JNTO site. Unfortunately, it won’t work for you. I don’t know what JNTO is thinking, but the plan may be for people traveling by car. Please take a look at the Izu map at

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/map/044_Izu.html

As you can see in the map, Shimoda and Kawazu are south of Izu Peninsula, and there is not direct train goes from Shuzenji to Shimoda/Kawazu. So, you should forget about Shimoda/Kawazu. Also, I’d NOT recommend that you visit Shuzenji. I’ve been to Shuzenji for Onsen, but not really for sightseeing, and would recommend that you stay in the Hakone/Mt. Fuji area.

Here is your current itinerary.

Day 1 (May 26): Arrive Narita – Ginza

Day 2 (May 27): Tokyo

Day 3 (May 28): Tokyo

Day 4 (May 29): travel from Tokyo-Nikko, stay in Nikko

Day 5 (May 30): Nikko

Day 6 (May 31): travel from Nikko-Tokyo, stay in Tokyo

Day 7 (June 1): Tokyo

Day 8 (June 2): travel from Tokyo to Hakone/Mt. Fuji, stay in Hakone

Day 9 (June 3): Hakone/Mt. Fuji

Day 10 (June 4): travel from Hakone-Tokyo-Narita, return back to SFO

I’ve noticed that you are NOT planning to visit Kyoto. May I ask why? Have you been to Kyoto before? If you’ve been to Kyoto, I’d understand your current itinerary. However, if you haven’t been to Kyoto, I’d strongly recommend that you spend 2-3 days in Kyoto.

If you don't visit Kyoto, would you be interested in taking a day trip to Kamakura, just an hour away from Tokyo?

http://www.kamakuratoday.com/e/

San Francisco Bay...
4. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

Hi Eddoko,

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Yes. We've been to Kyoto twice and absolutely loved the city. Food, culture, art, garden, people. We had wonderful time there.

Our Japan trip this time is to further explore Tokyo's different neighborhoods as well as to see the nature. Hence, we plan to stay and use Tokyo as base and take side trips to Nikko and Hakone.

We will be staying in Park Hotel in Ginza, which looks to be easy for accessing subway to everywhere in Tokyo.

As for Nikko, we are considering Hotel Shikisai near Lake Chuzenji. The hotel website does not have an English page for booking. The website only have resevervation in Japanese. I emailed them but haven't gotten any response. Any suggestion as to how to book this hotel?

In Fuji/Hakone, we are interested in staying in Hakone-Ginyu. Not sure is it good location-wise to be our base for Fuji/Hakone trip. Can you comment, please? Hakone-Ginyu's Address:

100-1 Miyanoshita Hakone-machi

Ashigarashimo-gun

Kanagawa-ken

Do you think we need to book place to stay for Nikko and Hakone trips before we arrive Japan? Or can we book them after we get there.

Thanks.

New York
5. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

Hi KKCA,

Oh, Hakone Ginyu is a great ryokan, and therefore is very popular among Japanese tourists!

http://www.hakoneginyu.co.jp/

It is hard to book a room at Hakone Ginyu. hum, 6/2 is Friday and 6/3 is Saturday. Not good. (LOL!) I’d recommend that you reserve a room asap if you are interested in Hakone Ginyu. If rooms are sold out on 6/2-4, you may ask for 5/31-6/2. Then, your itinerary would be as follows:

Day 1 (May 26): Arrive Narita – Ginza

Day 2 (May 27): Tokyo

Day 3 (May 28): Tokyo

Day 4 (May 29): travel from Tokyo-Nikko, stay in Nikko

Day 5 (May 30): Nikko

Day 6 (May 31): travel from Nikko-Hakone, stay in Hakone

Day 7 (June 1): Hakone

Day 8 (June 2): travel from Hakone-Tokyo, stay in Tokyo

Day 9 (June 3): Tokyo

Day 10 (June 4): travel from Tokyo-Narita, return back to SFO

If Hakone Ginyu doesn’t have a room on 5/31-6/2, you may want to ask for 5/29-5/31. If they have a room on 5/29-5/31, you can visit Hakone first, and then Nikko.

:-)

Nagoya, Japan
6. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

KKCA,

If you have not given up Shuzenji/Amagi/Kawazu/Shimoda, I can give you advices. There is a bus route from Shuzenji to Kawazu (an Izukyu station near Shimoda).

http://www.tokaibus.jp/mainroot.html

Shuzenji is a nice spot where author Natsume Soseki spent some time. Two years ago I drove through Shuzenji to Izu-Kogen. There are some scenic view drive route.

Amagi Pass is famous for Izu-no-Odoriko by Kawabata Yasunari.

Kawazu have seven falls.

Shimoda is a historic town as you know.

Can you give up these attractions?

Nagoya, Japan
7. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

KKCA,

If you are looking for a Ryokan, you might try this.

www.hakone-ryokan.or.jp/english/index.htm

http://www.hakone.or.jp/english/index.html

http://www.hakonenavi.jp/index.html

San Francisco Bay...
8. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

Thanks, Edokko and Nomonomo. I got in contact with Luxuary Ryokan Collection who represents a collection of ryokans including Gora Kadan, Hakone-Ginyu. They have an office in Seattle, so the communication and booking is much easier. They recommanded Kinnotake Ryokan, which is a new member ryokan to their collection and not far from Gora Kadan or Hakone-Ginyu.

I have changed my trip plan and swapped the Nikko and Fuji-Hakone side trips becuase of the ryokan availability. Now we will be in Fuji-Hakone from May 29 to 31 staying in Kinnotake and won't visit Gotemba-Shugenji-Shimoda. Just hang out in Fuji lake and Hakone and soak in all the beauty Lake Ashi and Mt. Fuji can offer.

As for the Nikko side trip, hotel-shikisai also emailed me back about their rate and availability. We will stay there for the night of June 2 and return back to tokyo on 6/3 making this as 2 days/1night trip instead of 3 days/2 nights orginally planned. Returning back to Tokyo for the last night of trip will leave us more time next day. We can go easy on the last day in Japan without rushing.

Thank you so much for the input and comments. We are so looking forward to this trip.

Tokyo, Japan
9. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

Quick question - did you stay at Kinnotake? If so did you like it? I've stayed at Gora Kadan and was wondering whether to take a friend there or to try Kinnotake?

Jenny

10. Re: Fuji, Hakone and Izu 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 23, 2009