We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help for a complete novice please

Which Narita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 5
help for a complete novice please

hi, normally when I am going to a new country I buy the books and read up etc, however as a member of staff for an airline and now realising I cant go the way I planned to sydney i aim to come via narita.

I have always wanted to visit japan, and have a day and a half coming this way round the world in which to see something.

First off....I dont think I need a visa do I on a uk passport is this correct?

I would love to stay in tokyo as thats the place I always wanted to see, is it easy to get there from the airport and how expensive is it?

is there a cheap but nice enough hotel/hotels anyone can recommend that are right by the action and fun things to see and nice places to eat for a lone female?

as a lone female will I be safe?

ermmm hang on I am sure i can think of more....

is narita fairly cool if I stay closer to the aiport?

oh and can I get a train to tokyo from the NRT airport and when I get offf the train will that be fairly central? I dont want to then have to get a taxi etc is this possible?

think that is it although I may be back....

many many thanks...by coming this way to oz and coming home via new zealand and the states it will be a round the world trip...so excited by that lol...

many thanks

H

xx

London, United...
1. Re: help for a complete novice please

ok so I looked at the hilton at the airport and it is cheap, so if I land in the morning is it viable to dump bags at the hotel and go to tokyo to see around for the rest of the day and get a late train back? if so is it safe to do that later on?

many thanks

SUNSHINE COAST...
reviews: 136
2. Re: help for a complete novice please

Hi PFK, Narita is a great place for a short stopover. We stay here every six months on our way home from New York ( quickest route to JFK = Brisbane/Narita/JFK )

The Hilton is a great hotel. Really quiet - you can not hear the planes and you get a good sleep. They have their own bus that picks you up at the airport, and it runs every half hour. There is a local bus that goes into Narita town and the Aeon shopping centre that stops at the hotel several times a day, the bus schedule is in the foyer. Narita has a famous temple and is a prerry little town. Either do a search on here as I have answered this question many times, or check out :

www.naritasan.or.jp/english/index.html

…chiba.jp/english/welcome/index.html

Tokyo I think really needs a few days, plus you arrive tired.

any questions ??

Tokyo
reviews: 1
3. Re: help for a complete novice please

No visa is required for UK passport holders.

Easy to get from NRT to Tokyo - choice of train or coach. Train is fastest at an hour, coach takes longer due to traffic conditions but can be more convenient as it stops at many convenient locations, such as big hotels. Train drops you in the centre of town.

If you were to stay in Tokyo, what is your budget?

As a lone female, you are perfectly safe in Tokyo. Safer than London probably.

I would normally suggest missing out on Narita and coming to Tokyo, but for a day and a half, you are the best judge of what you think is best. Obviously, Narita has nothing like the attractions of Tokyo but will you be able ot make the most of them in the time available?? Your shout!!

London, United...
4. Re: help for a complete novice please

thanks for that....narita sounds great but I am thinking I have to pop into tokyo even just for a couple of hours to say look I have been lol even if I dont actually stay there.

do you know how much the train costs?

I guess knowing I can get the airport hotel for £44 I dont want to go too far over £50 and can maybe get an airline discount somewhere.

I think my best option is to stay at the aiport hotel and just pop in on the train....maybe :o)

so so so so excited to be coming this way and getting to see another country!

beware I am about to hit your shores lol

Tokyo
reviews: 1
5. Re: help for a complete novice please

Train fare is about 15 pounds each way. I dont know much about budget hotels in town unfortunately but at that price, sounds like you are better off staying in Narita and poping in for the day. The one major thing to be careful of is the times to which the express trains run - they dont go late so dont get stuck on a slow train getting back to Narita. I think if you take a Keisei Skyliner train from Ueno to Narita town, last train is at 10pm.

Ueno isn't dead centre of town but not far from it either. The actual airport train (Narita Express) goes from the centre of town at Tokyo Station but that will stop running at 8pm.