We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

Makati, Philippines
reviews: 186
Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

I read in the JR Pass website that JR Odoriko and Odoriko Super View trains run on tracks owned by other companies, so JR Pass holders have to pay something extra.

Is the charge the same as the one shown on Hyperdia or Jorudan, (e.g., 2,220 yen from Izukyu Shimoda to Odawara), or something lower?

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 87
1. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

Well, JR Odoriko runs on Izukyu tracks after Ito to Shimoda at the neck of Izu Peninsula. Up to Ito, including Odawara and Atami, is completely JR East property. If you are only using the Odoriko to Odawara from Tokyo, it's 2,860 yen on normal class, reserved seats (1 hour 1 min).

However, if you have the standard JR Pass (and not the JR East Pass), you may take the JR Central's Tokaido Shinkansen Kodama or (Hikari service which stops at Odawara) to Odawara. It's 35 min, 3,640 yen. Or if you want to economize a bit, you can take the normal commuting Tokaido train on conventional tracks: 1 hour 25-40 mins, 1,450 yen.

From Shinjuku, if you don't have a JR Pass, the usual way to get there is by Odakyu Railway's Ltd Exp Romance Car, 1,720 yen. 1 hr 8 min. The Odakyu line local takes 1hr 30 min but as cheap as 850 yen from Shinjuku.

Edited: 1:24 am, October 04, 2012
Makati, Philippines
2. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

Thanks, Yobeecool.

I'm getting a Japan Rail Pass, which is supposed to give me free rides on most JR trains (I'm a foreigner), with the caveat that there's a surcharge when I ride the Odoriko trains. This is the link on this rule:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

I'd like to get an idea on the amount of the surcharge. Is it the full fare?

Tokyo, Japan
3. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

Sorry, where are you going in the first place? to Odawara or Izukyu Shimoda?

Edited: 3:48 am, October 04, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
4. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

Izukyu Shimoda to Ito is 2,070 yen on Izukyu Railways (limited express charge and seat reservation charge included). You need to pay to the conductor this charge if you are going to Shimoda.

Makati, Philippines
5. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

I expect that I will be going to places in Izu on an Odoriko train but running on the privately owned tracks (e.g., Kawazu, Izu Kogen). Hyperdia quotes a price. I was wondering if you pay that price even if you are on an Odoriko train, which is owned by Japan Rail, and you have a Japan Rail Pass.

Tokyo, Japan
6. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

You pay that price on hyperdia from the station on Izukyu Railway line to Ito where JR lines start. Rather expensive, isn't it.

Anyway conductors will come around to check tickets and when you show them the Pass they'll let you know about the Izukyu charges so you pay that price. There are local trains also running on Izukyu Line from Shimoda to Ito on which you don't have to pay the ltd express fee.

Edited: 7:59 am, October 04, 2012
Makati, Philippines
7. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

Thanks! Will factor this into the budget.

This also means I don't save anything by taking the Odoriko train on a privately owned track with my JR Pass so I should feel free to take a local train.

Tokyo, Japan
8. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

>>I don't save anything by taking the Odoriko train on a privately owned track with my JR Pass<<

You don't save money but you save time.

If you just want to use the JR Pass and pay for nothing else on transport, you might consider elsewhere to stay for an onsen. There are dozens of seaside onsen resorts.

9. Re: Izu -- JR Pass and Odoriko Ltd Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, February 03, 2014