We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a holiday with children to Hokkaido 16-23 June 2013

Which Hokkaido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
reviews: 13
Planning a holiday with children to Hokkaido 16-23 June 2013

Hi, can our dear Hokkaido experts help us out with planning. My family of 4, with 2 kids 10 &13, wld like to see the beautiful Hokkaido tis summer. We like a relaxing and stress-free type of holiday. Please suggez must-see, if not wld regret type of itinerary. Many thanks;-)

Saroma-cho, Japan
reviews: 11
1. Re: Planning a holiday with children to Hokkaido 16-23 June 2013

Do you plan on renting a car? That makes all the difference in what is possible when visiting this island as public transport can be very infrequent. I am partial to the eastern part of the island - Shiretoko, Kussharo, and Akan. But the distances can be long in the east, and it's far from Sapporo. The area to the southwest of Sapporo is also amazing, sort of a little mini-Hokkaido, with rugged coastlines, gorgeous lakes and hot springs and awesome mountains. Daisetsuzan in the center of the island is also recommended if you are interested in hiking at all.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
2. Re: Planning a holiday with children to Hokkaido 16-23 June 2013

Hokkaido is a vast island with lots to see. How much time you have, how long you are willing to drive daily, whether you will be flying open-jaw (enter one city, leaving another without backtracking) all factor into your plan.

What to see and do at Hokkaido in general:

http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1101.html

Driving distances and times:

http://www.navitime.co/jp/en

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 52
3. Re: Planning a holiday with children to Hokkaido 16-23 June 2013

This was my itinerary when visited last year May. Perhaps you can take this as reference.

Day 1: Arrive Sapporo

Day 2: Sapporo

Day 3: Day trip to Otaru

Day 4: Bus Sapporo to Noboribetsu

Day 5: Noboribetsu

Day 6: Rail Noboribetsu to Lake Toya

Day 7: Rail Lake Toya to Hakodate

Day 8: Fly out from Hakodate

If you take the train, all 4 cities along the rail line, which means no back-tracking. We took an early train from one city to the other. That leaves plenty of time to explore the place even if its just for a day stay, example in Lake Toya and Hakodate. But as I posted somewhere, I wished I had an extra day in Hakodate.

Hope you will love the place. I did.

4. Re: Planning a holiday with children to Hokkaido 16-23 June 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 14, 2014