We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama on a Budget

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maumelle, Arkansas
reviews: 34
Takayama on a Budget

We have been to Kyoto before but would love to spend 3-4 days in Takayama on our way home from a 30 day + visit to China. Our problem is the cost, especially the transport from either KIX or NRT. The cost for accomodation and food in Takayama is reasonable for Japan. Would it be foolish to rent a car and drive to Takayama since we don't read Japanese? The best rail costs round trip seem to be $300 USDs round trip from KIX or NRT, unless I am missing a Rail Pass Deal/ We would love to visit in mid November but am struggling with the costs. Suggestions will be appreciated?

Kanazawa, Japan
reviews: 3
1. Re: Takayama on a Budget

You could fly to KIX and the train is around ¥13,000 per person each way, or NGO and the train is around ¥7,000 per person each way. Driving isn't difficult but I expect the rental cost, tolls and gasoline will cost the same or more than the train. Considering the distance and the quality of transportation the cost of train is quite reasonable, quite the same as in the US.

Maumelle, Arkansas
reviews: 34
2. Re: Takayama on a Budget

fish2, Thank you for the info. Sorry but I do not know what NGO refers to?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
3. Re: Takayama on a Budget

NGO is the code for the airport just outside of Nagoya. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2431.html

Edited: 10:19 pm, October 13, 2013
4. Re: Takayama on a Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:37 am, October 15, 2014