We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Need help, if anyone know during 1st week of June at Shinhotaka ropeway will we still be able to see snow alps mountain?

Is it cold at the observation deck of the ropeway?

Thanks

Vivian

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
reviews: 1
1. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Yes, you'll still see snow-capped mountains from the observation deck at the topmost ropeway station. The average temps in June is 12Celsius, yet depending on the weather you may have sub-zero temps.

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Thanks Shot, do you have any ideal if is a rainy season to go in 1st week of June and or will it snow at the ropeway?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
3. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

The rainy season will perhaps be somewhere around the corner at the time of your visit. I can't say no rain, yet definitely not as much. Snow doesn't fall; everything starts to look green and that makes a greatest contrast to the snow on the ridges of the mountains. Yes, peaks after peaks are still capped with snow. Possibly you'll find some lingering stuff once you get outside the ropeway station.

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

HI Shot, thanks a lot for the info. It was great to hear that I can still see snow cape on the mountains. My only hope now...please dont rain all the time..

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Will it be cold on the ropeway?

What if its rain, will the ropeway close?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
6. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

It's the wind makes the ropeway out of service, not rain, as I understand it.

It's not heated, but once you get in you won't feel cold. You won't be feeling cold or hot for that matter when you're amazed by the views you get anyway.

But on the observation deck at the topmost station, the average June temps are 12C; the highs are 17C and the lows -2C. So wear accordingly.

Singapore, Singapore
7. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Thanks Shot. So usually in 1st week of June does the ropeway usually will close?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
8. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

No, not that I know of. So no worries.

Singapore, Singapore
9. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Phrew, thanks Shot for all the info.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
10. Re: Shinhotaka ropeway in Takayama

Panoramic views of the Northern Japan Alps Mountains await you, I gather. FYI, there's a couple of pay-per-minute type of binoculars(100yens) set up on the observation deck, so from here you can see hikers summiting peaks of Mt West Hotaka. If you pan the binoculars to the left then Mt Yari will come into your view. Yes, hikers on top look as tiny as rice grains, though. Here on the deck, you'll perhaps wonder what the uniformed guys are saying to visitors: shashin-something-something! Not a sales pitch for something to sell, but they're asking if they can put you in a picture for free, so if you bring a camera with you then hand over it and get them to do their job.

On your return leg, you may like to spend some time around the second station exploring its surrounds: beautiful Mt Kasa towers ahead of you and there's a photo gallery and a museum (related to Northern Japan Alps), a souvenir shop, retaurants, an open-air onsen bath, and a promenade in green shade.

If time allows, I suggest you extend your tip to Kamikochi from here:

http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/english/

http://www.kamikochi.org/

Have a blast!