We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

Which Livingstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincolnshire...
reviews: 18
Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

I very much like the look of the Zambezi Sun hotel, and am thinking of booking a few nights there next April, but one thing bothers me a little. Although I appreciate that people go out of the hotel on excursions during the day, in all of the photos on Trip Advisor, there appears to be hardly anyone in the background - it looks deserted!

I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who's been there, as to what its occupancy was like during their stay. Don't want to go there and end up feeling like we're the only ones there!

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
1. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

I have been there. My visit was in July, but there were a good few people there then. It felt to be about half full, but certainly not overrun with people. April is slightly less peak season, but I've never heard of the hotel being totally deserted (though if it were I imagine you'd certainly get plenty of TLC from the staff!)

Have a great trip,

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Lincolnshire...
2. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

Thanks for the info, Alexandra. I hope I will have a great trip. It certainly looks a very attractive hotel!

Lusaka, Zambia
reviews: 16
3. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

I am here now, end of April and I would say only 10% of the hotel is full. I talked to staff and even they said it was fairly empty. But, it is nice to relax and not have screaming children and having the animals roam free around you.

Lincolnshire...
4. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

Thanks for that, Megan. I'm thinking of going at another point in the year. I wouldn't like to go to somewhere that was like a ghost town! Do you know if all activities are up and running at this time of year?

Los Angeles...
5. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

We stayed in the beginning of May and it wasn't busy at all. I didn't ask about occupancy, but we never saw more than about a dozen other guests at a time. I'd be there were entire buildings that were unoccupied. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant (which is included in the rate and therefore should be pretty busy in the morning) only had guests at about 3-4 other during the three mornings we were there.

It did have an empty feel, but we didn't consider it bad at all. However, I wouldn't pick this time of year to go again, though, as there was just too much water to see that falls clearly and some activities (most notably Livingstone Island) were closed because of the water level.

For the price of the hotel, it's really not worth it. Run down, questionable sanitation/food handling practices, and overall feel of poor cleanliness. I'd spend the extra money for the Royal Livingstone instead.

Lincolnshire...
6. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

Thanks for your advice Dodge_This. Unfortunately, the Royal Livingstone is just a little beyond our budget. I think we will go at Easter next year and hope that it will be fuller due to it being a holiday period.

The water doesn't bother me, as activites we want to do are mainly land based. Also - if occupancy is a little low, at least the breakfast buffet won't be picked over by the time we get there!

Thanks again,

FIONA (EloquentSwanJoggers)

Washington DC
reviews: 153
7. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

We had booked at the Sun because for us the RL was also just out of budget. When we pulled in the Sun seemed pretty empty, and upon trying to check in they told us that we had been upgraded to the Royal Livingstone, which also didn't seem to be too full.

I'd go ahead and book the Sun, maybe if you're lucky you'll get moved too! But they are on the same property, and the Sun is actually a bit closer to the entrance for the falls. You'll be fine either way, both are solid options and the closest to the falls.

Lincolnshire...
8. Re: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?

Thanks for your info, hdempsey. Since writing my original enquiry, we have booked at Zambezi Sun for Easter next year. Nice to know that they give out upgrades! Hopefully all will be quite busy, as it's during a holiday period.

Reply to: Zambezi Sun - how busy is it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted