We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 nights in Phan Thiet

Which Phan Thiet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Anglia
reviews: 24
10 nights in Phan Thiet

Hi all

My wife and I are going to HCMC staying 4 nights then head to Phan Thiet for 10 nights. We are both really excited. Just wondered if anyone could suggest what we should do and see, (of course we want to relax too) We are staying at the Novotel Ocean Dunes.

Thanks

Kam

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
reviews: 25
1. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

Kam,

The most popular tours in the area are those to the orange and white sand dunes, with a stop at the Cham Towers along the way, and a trip to Taku Mountain, which has the largest reclining Buddha in Southeast Asia. You take an aerial tram from the valley floor to the top of the mountain, then walk an additional 300 steps to the Buddha. From the Novotel, I wouldn't attempt either trip on a motorbike. I would take a car to the mountain and one of the jeep tours to the sand dunes, perhaps with a stop at the Fairy Stream.

I would take a taxi one night over to Ham Tien ward and visit Sankara Restaurant, then have some drinks at the beach bar. Other than that, the band at the Novotel is very good and should make your evenings entertaining.

Steve

Edited: 12:17 am, March 09, 2011
Nha Trang, Vietnam
reviews: 3
2. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

When I was at the Taku mountain there was no tram, but we saw local workers carry sacks of cement all the way up from the valley.

Personally, I am glad I trekked up and down to the Buddha, great exercise. I assume the possibility is still there.

East Anglia
3. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

ThAnks for your help guys really excited, I've heard in Vietnam it does not rain all day just short heavy bursts is this true, we leave uk late sept for HCMC the after on to phan thiet back home early October

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 4
4. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

To be honest I think you will be very, very bored with 10 nights in Phan Thiet itself. Most of the action (and the best resorts) is up in Mui Ne itself, a loooong drive from the Novotel. Also the beach at the Novotel isn't that great.

Alternatives in a similar price range would be Coco Beach (my favourite), Blue Ocean or (in the unlikely event of it being available!) Sailing Club. All have plenty of bars, restaurants & cafes nearby, and Coco Beach has the best section of beach on the whole strip.

And although Mui Ne is in Vietnam's driest province, you may be affected by the rainy season in Sept/Oct, and when it rains, there's not a lot else to do.

East Anglia
5. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

That's kind of put a dampner on my trip to Vietnam now, as I have already booked and paidfor the novotel, on trip advisor the reviews of the novetel are good, how long is the drive to mui ne ?

Ho Chi Minh City...
6. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

Novotel is a nice hotel, nothing wrong with it at all, but the location isn't great for such a long stay, unless you're mainly there to play golf (it has a superb golf course). To get up to Mui Ne would take you around 20-30 mins by taxi or motorbike. There are a few local food places near the hotel as well but nothing really special.

East Anglia
7. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

Ok, 20 or 30 min journey would not bother me, I am also keen to go to the Market at phan thiet, is that far? I love mixing with locals, can you rent motor bikes with side carts and is it a simple drive to mui ne and phan thiet or better to get a taxi?

Edited: 5:12 am, March 09, 2011
Ho Chi Minh City...
8. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

You can't rent sidecars but you can easily get 2 people on a rental bike - just be careful driving back into town down the hill after dark, especially if you've had a few beers in Mui Ne :)

And the market is pretty close, 5-10 mins away by bike. The hotel will do bike rental for you.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
reviews: 25
9. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

Kam_Lall,

Don't let ComeAndGoVietnam upset you. The Novotel is very nice, the food is good, the golf course is wonderful, the beach is not that bad and you are within walking distance of some excellent local restaurants, as well as the only indoor shopping mall in the province. My favorite restaurant in the city is about 200 meters down the beach from the Novotel.

Besides the fact that the resort has a great band, there are a couple of fun local discotheques a five minute cab ride from the hotel (Gossip and MTV). The street along the river bank just below Tran Hung Dao is a great place to walk in the early evening and there are some really popular street restaurants there with hot pot and Vietnamese barbecue.

ComeAndGo only likes resorts in a very limited section of Phan Thiet, which is the western end of Ham Tien (And which he constantly refers to incorrectly as Mui Ne). However, the area has much more to offer than just that very crowded tourist strip. Being in Phan Thiet you'll have a much better opportunity to be with locals rather than at west Ham Tien, which has nothing but tourists. Virtually no locals live there.

So, if you're coming to Vietnam to be with lots of other tourists, by all means stay in the west end of Ham Tien.

Edited: 5:59 am, March 09, 2011
Darwin, Australia
reviews: 37
10. Re: 10 nights in Phan Thiet

There is also the locals bus (green and white) that travels back and forth between Mui Ne and Phan Thiet every 30 minutes from just before sunrise to about 8:00 PM. It cost me only 15,000 dong (75 cents) each trip just last year in June. The bus has obscure bus stops about every 250 metres along the Mui Ne strip.

Give the driver a tip and he may drop you off at the hotel gates if it is not on one of the regular stops. ( I don't think your hotel is anywhere near their stops). You may need to wander into the town centre to get to a bus stop. I have no doubt your hotel staff will help you with that.

You can also hire a taxi for a half day (un-metered) quite cheaply to take you to each location you may be interested in. Costs about $20 for a half day. You will need to negotiate with the driver and only pay when the trip is done.