We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Da Nang to Hoi An

Which Da Nang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 1
Da Nang to Hoi An

We're (4 people) arriving at the port on a cruise ship and wish to go to Hoi An for the day - maybe via Marble Mountain. I've read here that taxis are round $20 each way.

1. How easy is it to get a taxi at the port? There seems to be conflicting opinions about this. Can you book a taxi in advance? How easy is it get a taxi to return to Da Nang?

2. I've received a quote for $50 PP (4 people) for a transfer to and from Da Nang from a tour company . No guide - no sight seeing. This seems very high. It says it includes 'port fees'. Are these for a vehicle to enter the port or for each passenger? Can anyone enlighten me on this? I've also been quoted very high port fees in Halong Bay ($22 pp) . I'm not sure how all of this operates.

There could possibly be more people interested from our roll group, so the numbers are flexible (but 4 minimum).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 50
1. Re: Da Nang to Hoi An

The price you've been quoted sounds high to me. However, four adults in one taxi pretty much rules out your standard Asian car. Sounds like a mini van or SUV type vehicle would be required. I'm wondering if one could get an SUV for the day, say for $50 - $75, paying the driver only after you have been safely delivered back to the dock.

Richard

Brisbane
2. Re: Da Nang to Hoi An

Thanks Richard

It would have to be a bigger car, I agree.

I'm sure we could easily do it ourselves in 2 taxis - just not sure of how easy/safe this is. Hopefully, someone will comment on your suggestion. I imagine there would be waiting time costs. It may be better to try to find something with sightseeing included.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
reviews: 29
3. Re: Da Nang to Hoi An

If you want to get the taxi you have to walk out the port gate and Im not sure how far you will walk.Port fee that each car will have to pay around 20-25 usd per car to be in the port. So to save money you just walk to the gate and find taxis outside there.

Cheers,

Nhung

4. Re: Da Nang to Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, July 14, 2012
Edited: 3:35 am, July 14, 2012
Da Nang, Vietnam
5. Re: Da Nang to Hoi An

Mango is correct, just walk outside the Tiên Sa Seaport gate and you can find plenty of taxis... maker SURE you ONLY pick the Green Mai Linh, Yellow Tien Sa, or White with green/red striped Vinasun taxis. I prefer the Tien Sa taxis as they are a local company and a bit cheaper.

My recommendation is to visit the giant Buddha statue (the biggest in Viet Nam) located on Son Tra Peninsula and minutes from the port. Spectacular views of the city and experience a beautiful pagoda. In my opinion is MUCH MUCH better than Marble Mountains (Which by the way are NOT mountains and are NOT marble - they are limestone). Marble Mountain pagoda charges fees, is rather ugly, and is overly touristy with the usual hawkers selling crap.

Here is a photo of the Son Tra Pagoda. Print it out and give to the driver, he will know where its located ::

buddhaphoto.net/cache/Bodhisattva/Avalokites…

Brisbane
6. Re: Da Nang to Hoi An

Thank you so much for the replies, Mango and World_Panda and Richard. The whole port tax concept was confusing me - but now I see (after a huge search) that it applies to all ports in Vietnam if a private vehicle comes into the regulated port area. That may explain why the price for one transfer was $50.00 pp - will need to follow it up to see if it a port pick up or outside.

We'll now look at the taxi option more closely. We'd been concerned as some sites suggested taxis were in limited supply - great to have a local opinion.

Thanks also for the sightseeing advice - we don't want to waste time at very touristy sites.

I know similar questions have been posted before, but the 3 suggestions here have brought all of the information together in a really useful way.

7. Re: Da Nang to Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, July 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Da Nang