We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 49
Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

Hi There

i'm planning to be in Hoi An in January 2014. From what i've read I have to get some clothes made while there. Hoping you can provide some tips:

- Which tailors would you recommend?

- Is it possible to get clothes made in a short time? I'm only there for 2 days

- What's the best way to get things made? Should i bring my own designs?

- Are there items that they make better than others? ex shirts instead of dresses?

- Can i get custom shoes as well?

- Are the prices really that much better?

Looking forward to your replies.

Ho Chi Minh City...
1. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

Hi

I'm Nhan from Vietnam. welcome you to Vietnam in general as well as Hoi An Ancient Town in particular. there are many tailors in Hoi An for tourists' consideration. people can get clothes made in a few hours. morever, you can leave a hotel address and keep sightseeing, after finishing they will bring the product directly to you. similarly, you can get custom shoes as well in a short time waiting. please don't worry about the price 'cause it's reasonable than other tourist destinations in Vietnam.

best regards

Adelaide
reviews: 199
2. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

You'll find a list of tailors recommended by fellow TA members here:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298082-Activiti…

Just about all of them can get your clothes made in 2 days. We used Hoang Kim pretty extensively, and I know she will have no trouble at all in getting anything made in your two days. Up to you whether you bring your own designs or not, but they will all measure you and make from scratch. Shoe shops can generally get stuff made in around 24 hours. So go for it.

London, United...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

I had things made at a couple of places including the popular Mr Xe's. The end results varied enormously from quite good to unwearable. It depends on the tailor they farm the work out to. A couple of things made at Mr Xe's were good - but these were copied from two of my own skirts. A jacket I had made in a Chanel style from raw silk I had bought in Thailand and trimmed with expensive edging that I brought from the UK was disastrous and turned out unwearable - a very expensive mistake!

My advice would be to have things copied only - they always make things too big otherwise and it means more time consuming visits. Also make sure if you choose silk that it is real silk - do the burn test.

I've decided with all the outlets everywhere now that unless you want a favourite design replicated that you skip the tailors and just enjoy what else there is on offer.

Darwin
reviews: 7
4. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

The best things I have ever had made were copies of clothes I had with me. Although I have had some very good woollen coats made.

Don't expect too much.

Men's shirts are always great.

I have had many disasters over the years - silk unwearables.

dG

UK
reviews: 48
5. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

Please can I just jump on this thread and ask what is probably a daft question... If you are having a favourite piece of clothing copied do you have to leave it with the tailors for 2-3 days whilst they make up the replica or can you just take/wear it to the shop, they take the measurements/photos and you take it away with you? The reason I ask is that we will be travelling very light and will be left short on the wardrobe front if we have to leave all the bits we want copied there!

Thanks

hoian
6. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

never tell them that you are here for short time and pay small deposit if any

Darwin
7. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

If you don't say you are in Hoi An for a short time they will take forever. We have made the mistake of taking very few clothes and not having any more before we leave a month later.

You will need to part with the piece of clothing for at least overnight. Tell them you need it back in the am.

You must check the fabrics. Check the whole of the meters you need to ensure it is OK.

Don't stress if the first fitting is not up to standard. Just let them know what needs to be done to make it OK.

Stay cool and smile.

Don't try to get anything complicated made.

DG

sydney, australia
reviews: 71
8. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

We have recently returned from Vietnam and had lots of fun getting clothes and shoes made in Hoi An. On the advice of an expat living in Hoi an, we went to Mrs Lan #9 at 31 Haong Dieu St (opposite the cloth market). She made some beautiful trousers for my husband and myself, a couple of dresses and a shirt. Very reasonable, a pleasant lady and you don't need to bargain, she gives you a good price from the start. We went back once for fitting and a few adjustments - all perfect.

We were also dragged into the cloth market by a couple of very pleasant sisters desperate to make us something. We had been having a beer outside waiting for our appointment with Mrs Lan….. I succumbed and unwittingly ended up with 2 pair of great golf shorts - perfect fitting for me with a sway back. They had a little stall in the market #50 Da Phuong and they really did a good job. I think Mrs Lan was al litle better as she had clothes ready made to view whereas the girls worked from a catalogue.

It's very hard to choose a tailor in Hoi An- there are literally thousands of them. We were happy with the recommendations we had.

PS go early on the first day you are there to give you time to have adjustments made.

Edited: 2:22 am, November 22, 2013
Houston
reviews: 1
9. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

If I had more time I would have probably done a better job of searching around,but my time here is limited. We stopped into Hung Thai and was given a quote but salesperson did not explain much or give many options. Second place was Be Be. They were crowded had had lots of workers to assist. The fabric selection was more abundant. Their price was $30 higher than the first place but that included a lining under the women's dress. My suit jacket and skirt were well made with only a few needed minor adjustments. I also had a simple work dress made that needed a lot of adjustments. Will pick up final product tomorrow.

London, United...
reviews: 25
10. Re: Recommended Tailors with only 2 days in Hoi An?

I got ripped off by a tailor in Hoi An people like her give them a bad name, I was not happy with one item she made but agreed to buy 2 other items they were not good but would have worn them whilst travellling, not going out for a night, but she kept my 1000 deposit and I got no clothes, it was all or nothing, don't go to 263 Nyugen Duy Heu st, rip off merchant.