We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 19
Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

Hello

I am visiting Vietnam early November for a beach trip and had my heart set on spending the week in Hoi An, staying at beach resort nearby. I know it is monsoon season so was not expecting sunny clear weather all day but don't want to get stuck inside all day from flooding or torrential rain.

I have been following the news on devastating typhoon nari and from what I can gather, the worst has passed and there has not been too much flooding post the large storm...however I am concerned that it's now definitely not the best time to visit - either the beaches have been destroyed or there will be more storms/floods to come, sickness?

The alternative is to visit Saigon and Nha Trang, but Hoi An is my preference, particularly as I am flying in from HK and there are direct flights to Da Nang - I would need to change planes to get to Nha Trang.

At this point the plan is to keep checking weather reports and will book by next week, but am seeing daily storm forecasts for Hoi An/Da Nang yet people posting sunny pictures on social media!?

Any insights, advice on whether its ok to to visit, even tips on which weather site to use for accuracy would be appreciated :)

Thanks x

Coolum Beach...
reviews: 2
11. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

Guys,

Just keep an eye on this Tropical Depression issued by the Bureau of Met in HK on the 29/10/13---Typhoons can go anywhere this time of the year!

Plover

weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_pos_1337.htm

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
12. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

oops, typhoon season will never end....

http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com

Tropical Depression TWENTYNINE point directly to Hanoi but it is too early to have a strength forecast.

I guess central vietnam best time to visit is from march, dec/jan no typhoon but it is coldish.

Sydney, Australia
13. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

Thanks for that....I haven't found anything more on storm TWENTYNINE yet?

Would love to visit at a better time and previously visited in Jan and it was cold for beach but fine for sightseeing, but I am actually in HK at the moment and can afford to take some time out to bounce over to Vietnam for a few days next week so November it is.

I am just holding out for better forecasts before booking, understand it won't be ideal but don't want to fly into a typhoon for no reason!

Australia
reviews: 30
14. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

It looks like TS Krona is going to be a worry. It is intensifying near the Philippines and headed for the mid-north coast of Vietnam.

Sydney, Australia
15. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

Oh this is not good news.

Australia
reviews: 13
16. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

Hmmm I think we are going to get wet...

Adelaide
reviews: 1
17. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

Hi we are currently in Danang staying at the Pullman, we were supposed to be staying at the Victoria in Hoi An which had some damage from Nari although they are expecting to have it ready in a few days but too late for us. The beach at Danang is still lovely as is the resort, apparently the sand on the beach was higher near the resort but we hadn't noticed until it was pointed out there is repair work going on nothing to affect our stay. Your main concern would be that there is another typhoon coming from Manilla you need to find out about that, we were told it may head to Hanoi and miss here but that information has change , it is a lovely place to visit., and we can still visit Hoi An village that is okay it appears it is the resorts on the beach that were affected by the typhoon . I hope you have a good time where ever you end up in Vietnam - Aussie first timers

Sydney, Australia
18. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

How is Hoi An? Understand the typhoon has downgraded to a storm and set to hit tonight. Hope everyone is safe.

I ended up changing plans and going south to nha trang - it's lovely here, hot and clear skies (for now!).

19. Re: Hoi An & Da Nang post Typhoon Nari - ok to visit??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, November 06, 2014