We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An in October

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 4
Hoi An in October

I will be in Hoi An for a week during the second half of October; already booked hotel. Is this a bad idea, weather-wise? What are the chances of flooding? Is it a given every year, or does it vary?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
1. Re: Hoi An in October

Of late there seems to be some degree of flooding every year; how deep and for how long varies. Could be an adventure, I've had friends ferried out by rowboat :-)

Ben Tre, Vietnam
reviews: 24
2. Re: Hoi An in October

October is not a good time for Hoi An as it is flood and rainy season. You might want to shorten the time there and add on for other destination.

Cheers

Nhung

perth west aust
reviews: 1
3. Re: Hoi An in October

We too are planning a trip to Vietnam - Sept/Oct starting in Hanoi and will be in Hoi An around then.

Do you think it would be better to delay by a few weeks and commence end October and into November ??

Or start earlier in September ??

Sydney
reviews: 120
4. Re: Hoi An in October

For us, September was beautiful with the occasional afternoon deluge that we found rather refreshing.

When there the following November we had to catch a row boat from the 2nd level window of our hotel.

The experience was fun/interesting but I would aim at September if you had a choice. IMO.

Mark

perth west aust
5. Re: Hoi An in October

Thanks Mark.

The problem we now have is that we begin our travels in Hanoi including Ha giang and Sapa which I read are better in late Sept and into October - but then when we head south - there is the heavy rains in October - !! I am beginning to think that we should reverese our itinerary and start is Saigon in August and head up.

Any suggestions ??

Sydney
reviews: 120
6. Re: Hoi An in October

Yes Pisces

I think that sounds like a good plan if you can swing it.

Bambi, you might find this useful for your planning as well.

Here is a link to check out the weather/rainfall in each location,

compliments of Owee owee58.com/2010/…

Regards,

Mark

Edited: 6:02 am, April 01, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
7. Re: Hoi An in October

We were there in October and it was dry but there were still sandbags along the river from floods the week before, it is a risk but if you're not planning on going there for a beach holiday it won't spoil sightseeing.

Hoi An, Vietnam
reviews: 15
8. Re: Hoi An in October

Hopefully it will be raining.... there was no real rain or flooding this past season and our power runs on water hydro, so rain is essential here.. beats hot summers with streets of generators... The season is supposed to start half in October and finish half February..When it floods in Hoi An - there is a festive feeling in town. kids are off school, everyone is playing in the semi flooded streets, tours in boats take you around the old town ( where most flooding is) much of the town stays dry... Hoi An when it floods is definitely worth trying to be here to see..

perth west aust
9. Re: Hoi An in October

Thank you for your comments, who would have thought there could be an upside for rainy days : ) maybe will stick to my original itinerary after all. Thanks.

10. Re: Hoi An in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 03, 2014