We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An - Rats

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lynmouth, United...
reviews: 51
Hoi An - Rats

Hoi An is a wonderful little place to visit but like me if you have an adversity to rats you might be disapointed or even distressed!

We stopped at 8 restaurants to either eat or drink during our 2 nights there. In 4 of the eateries we had rats within a few feet of us either under nearby tables, in the rafters or along the walls. We also saw several near the river after dark. We spent 3 further weeks in Vietnam and only saw one other one in our whole trip!

Unfortunately It completely spoilt my time in Hoi An, so if you do suffer from a rat phobia and visting Hoi An you might need to eat in upstairs venues and dont stay out too late.

72 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 21
1. Re: Hoi An - Rats

One must keep an open mind and dont forget where you are.You are in Vietnam.Little creatures and eatable vermim are everywhere.Go to the market and experiance the joys there. Thats the Vietnam I visit.Im on my forth visit there in 4 years and everytime Im there its a wonderus

feast for ALL my senses! Dont let the rats "bum ya out"!

Edited: 10:59 am, October 16, 2012
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
2. Re: Hoi An - Rats

I guess I've just been lucky, because I've seen more in San Francisco's Chinatown than in all of Vietnam. Probably more now in Hoi An since it's the wet season.

Edited: 11:15 am, October 16, 2012
pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
reviews: 91
3. Re: Hoi An - Rats

I have seen rats in every city I've visited in VN. No problem. I saw one in an internet cafe in SaiGon once, it crawled over a womans foot...she didn't give it a second look. Have seen them on roof tops and in the streets. Floating down the rivers during rainy season. Fact of life in most of the world. But in so called industrial countries just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there...NYC has at least 1 rat for every person living there.

Lynmouth, United...
reviews: 51
4. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Guys - the post was meant for those of us that unfortunately do have a massive phobia that affects our sleep, our ability to relax entirely and our enjoyment of an evening/place. I've visted hundreds of Asian towns over the my years and never have I experienced a large number in such a small time....luckily I'd been treated by hypno therapy prior to this trip so I wasnt as frantic as I might have been but it seems only fair to warn others who might have the same aversion. I know they are everywhere and perhpas more so in Asia but it was quite bizarre how many over only 2 days. The pedestrianised nature of Hoi An along with the riverside setting are likely a big factor here.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
reviews: 23
5. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Unfortunately, places that have a lot of waste will attract rats...... most warm climates in the world suffer the same fate. Hoi An is worse than Hanoi, Hue, Nha Trang, or Saigon? Maybe for the 2 legged rats ;) ..... Do not worry... they are more scared of you than you them.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Tipperary, Ireland
reviews: 58
6. Re: Hoi An - Rats

I saw loads of rats when walking along the river in Hoi An (after the local market closed mainly) but I never saw any in actual restaurants...I think for most people this knowledge probably wont put them off as its to be expected in most towns/cities...however its probably good to know for anyone who really does have an aversion to rats...they dont bother me so it wouldnt put me off one little bit !!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
7. Re: Hoi An - Rats

And in fact, you'd probably find they're all over Brighton as well, you just don't see them.

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 26
8. Re: Hoi An - Rats

bandearg

but I never saw any in actual restaurants...I think for most people this knowledge probably wont put them off as its to be expected in most towns/cities...however its probably good to know for anyone who really does have an aversion to rats...they dont bother me so it wouldnt put me off one little bit !!

------------

I don't know. I suspect that if you saw them scurrying around unheeded in a restaurant's kitchen (like I did in Saigon) I think even you would start to wonder what is going into your meal. Yes, they are all over the place (river frontages probably having more than anywhere else) but it doesn't take much to keep them out of kitchens etc. Sadly, the Vietnamese way of hygiene is sometime woefully lacking on a grand scale. Something, it must be said, that the government is trying to get onto the general population's radar. Even more so as cases of food poisoning are rising.

Derby
reviews: 36
9. Re: Hoi An - Rats

I saw 3 in Saigon but none in Hoi An but I suspect this was luck ,ore than anything .Not phobic but was a bit freaked out as they were rather large!!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
10. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Since the Vietnamese include rat meat in their diet, I suspect that they don't want to control them as we do in the West.

Reply to: Hoi An - Rats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted