We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

Hi, does anybody know of a really good dressmaker in Hoi An? Somebody that can handle the more modern flowy chiffon/silk empire dresses, rather than the stuffy tailored look that most tailors tend to do? For example, do any of the dressmakers use the draping technique to make clothes? I would be interested in that. Are they fairly good at copying say something out of a runway picture, for example a soft dress with a flowy ruffle-y skirt?

I would be bringing my own fabric but am afraid of wasting my precious fabric on mistakes...so I'm trying to research this first.

I'm planning a trip around May 2008.

Thank you!

Perth
1. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

Hi there ..... I am so pleased that you asked this question as I need to know the same. My email is josofinemarkovich@hotmail.com and would be eternally grateful if you would be kind enough to send any answers on to me. You may have guessed that I do not know the internet very well. However, thankyou in advance for any tips you may pass on. Have a abFab tour!! cheers Josephine Markovich Perth Australia

rotterdam, Holland
reviews: 4
2. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

I myself like 22 le loi on 22 le loi street but if you want to no where to go or who to avoid see this website

http://www.hoi-an-tailors.org/

Umbria
reviews: 56
3. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

I've just come back from Hoi An and tried various tailors, however, I would thoroughly recommend those at 41 Le Loi.

I took in a linen designer dress to copy that I bought in Croatia last year..a very complex design cut on the bias and they made a fantastic job in raw silk with the addition of internal pockets which I prefer to the original! I don't think I would bother to take your own material though. The fabric market in Hoi An is an enormous warehouse where anything is obtainable. Once you have left measurements at 41 Le Loi they can take orders via email for any other garments you might want in the future.

Newcastle
reviews: 18
4. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

Hi

Will be in HOi An in August. If you find a great tailor please can you pass on the name. Many thanks.

Healesville...
reviews: 18
5. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

Hi just had a workmate get bakc from vn - spent all his time with friends in hoi an. Was sent to VN Colour and was happy with results but he only had shirts and a jacket made - the dressmaker there apparently knows her stuff but I cannot make a personal recommendation. she is listed on visithoian.com

Castle Cary, United...
reviews: 51
6. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

Hi,just got back from Hoi An a few days ago.I had a skirt copied from one I had with me and a pair of trousers,also copied,from the 2008 Next catalogue.Particularly pleased with the skirt-had a problem with the trouser pockets but easily resolved.Also had a couple of things made (1 copy) at Mackthai 12,Nguyen Thai Hoc St (market end) that I was very pleased with.A couple of people I met had mother-of-the bride outfits made (chiffon etc) one used Thu Thuy and one used 41 Le Loi both were pleased but both of these places were more expensive than the ones I used.Easy to get matching handbags & shoes made-either from a catalogue or copies of ones you have with you.Leave space in your suitcase as you will definitely need it!!Please ask if you want any more information.

New Zealand
reviews: 7
7. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

Hi

We used Yaly Tailors when we were there in Jan and they are more expensive but i thought they had the best choice of fabrics. I showed the girl a runway picture and she admitted they would find it hard to copy it, which I have to say I appreciated her honesty! There seemed to be some floaty dresses there but just be a little wary and don't be afraid to get them to change things if it is not as you asked...my husband had a velvet dinner jacket made and had to send it back 3 or 4 times to get it right.

TAMWORTH AUSTRALIA
reviews: 7
8. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

hio we travelled to hoi an last october . so many tailors , you will not know which way to turn ,BELEIVE ME, we ended up at the "peace tailor " we were really happy with every thing ended up with, 10 dresses (not all for me) 2 pair of pants. 4 buisness shirts ,2 pairs of trousersand 2 blouses, average price of item worked out $10 /$15 the dresses i had made for my sisters and daughter going on the measurements i had wriiten down , fitted perfect, and and thing i was not happy with , they fixed , I would not worry about them making mistakes with your fabric. good luck i am sure you will find the right one , kindest wishes whoopi

9. Re: Ladies Dressmaker Recommendation in Hoi An?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, September 22, 2009