We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy? Hoi An vs. Bangkok vs. Shanghai vs. Beijing

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 4
Where to buy? Hoi An vs. Bangkok vs. Shanghai vs. Beijing

Hi there,

Just finished reading all the great posts in this thread. I am traveling all around Asia next month, and wondered where is the best place to get a suit made. I am also looking for dress shirts, jacket and perhaps shoes. I would prefer European style of suits that look like $1500 but would hopefully cost 5% of that.

We're passing through HCMC, Hoi An, Hanoi, Shanghai, Beijing and Bangkok. If someone had experience in two or more of these places, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thx!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 114
1. Re: Where to buy? Hoi An vs. Bangkok vs. Shanghai vs. Beijing

we bought amazing 'fake Armani' suits in Shanghai and Beijing- I think we paid US$50 or $60 and my son wears them constantly for work- they've been brilliant - I didn't see the same thing in Hanoi last year but am going to look harder for them this year.

London, United...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Where to buy? Hoi An vs. Bangkok vs. Shanghai vs. Beijing

Hi Maz,

Any recommendations about specific tailors in Shanghai? I looked in the blogs but didn't find nearly as much info about the shops there, compared to the posts about Hoi An.

Cheers

O.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 114
3. Re: Where to buy? Hoi An vs. Bangkok vs. Shanghai vs. Beijing

hi odrp-

we didn't bother to have them made up- go to the market- especially in Beijing - they are ready-made in every conceivable size and fabric. (and all the top designer styles and names - with gorgeous linings all embossed with the names)

From memory, I think it was called the Silk Market (a fantastic multi storey building with everything you can imagine for sale) somewhere on one of the upper floors. You can also buy them as separate pieces so if you are longer in the body, you get the right fit - or say if you are extra tall (with long legs). so, you can also buy extra pants to match. The trousers I bought for my son had adjustable waistlines with some sort of zip-gadget - brilliant for him because he is very tall and skinny.

I must say that last year my son had a suit made up (tailored) in Bangkok and it never fitted properly even after fittings. I also had one made for him the following year in Bangkok and that wasn't quite right either- also, shirts he had made up didn't fit properly.

finally, I was worried that because we travelled in mid summer, and it was so hot, that I wouldn't be able to buy winter clothes, e.g. suits, but there was plenty to choose from.

hope this helps

maz

4. Re: Where to buy? Hoi An vs. Bangkok vs. Shanghai vs. Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:29 am, August 29, 2009