We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fancy an Indian

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Fancy an Indian

I know its only the end of week 2 but I am English and I needed a good ruby murry, thanks again to Saxepoint, poited me towards Omars in Hoi An town, best curry east of Brick Lane, London Town.

Regards

Full Fill

Sault Ste. Marie...
reviews: 70
1. Re: Fancy an Indian

And they've a branch in Hue too!! Great Indian food. The Indian food in HCMC was not good. Not spiced right and watered down lassi etc.

Hua Hin, Thailand
reviews: 34
2. Re: Fancy an Indian

Hi Phil,

Luv the "ruby murray"! How many septics will catch your drift? We're off to Hoi An in a few weeks for a few weeks - can you let us know specifically where Omar is, or is it follow your nose? Shame about the Addicks!

Brian

London
3. Re: Fancy an Indian

Brian

Take a look here http://www.kohkong.com/nt/omar/index.html

Fill

Hua Hin, Thailand
4. Re: Fancy an Indian

Fill,

Thanks for that - the penny didn't drop at first - I've been to his restaurant in Hue - great grub!

Brian

Hua Hin, Thailand
5. Re: Fancy an Indian

Omars is alas no more - I tried to find it for several days (we're here for a while!) but to no avail. Omars website still shows them with a Hoi An restaurant, complete with address and phone number. The receptionist at the excellent Ha An hotel rang them to find out that they had moved to 24 Tran Hung Dao (they are listed at 14 Phan Dinh Phung Street). Turns out the two streets run into each other and the two locations are about 200 yards apart. However the restaurant at the new location has a different name while at the same time advertising itself as "ex Omars". Haven't been yet - it's stinking hot today (as were all the other days we've been here!) and the restaurant looks "hot". I asked the one Indian face I spotted why the original Omars closed down - "lack of business" he said, "nobody could find it".

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
6. Re: Fancy an Indian

Calle, you said: "And they've a branch in Hue too!! "

The Hue Indian restaurant is owned by a guy who has a relative who has a restaurant in Nha Trang.

Apparently the Hoi An operation is owned by someone else.

Melbourne
reviews: 5
7. Re: Fancy an Indian

This is a shame. I love my curries and was looking forward to visiting this restaurant when I'm in Hoi An in a week or so.

Hua Hin, Thailand
8. Re: Fancy an Indian

Just in case I've confused everybody, the new restaurant is still Indian and the Indian face I referred to is the chef there and previously worked at Omars before they closed. So, who knows, the Ruby Murrays may still be as good as before!

Melbourne
reviews: 5
9. Re: Fancy an Indian

Goodo!

Thanks easyas.

Hoi An, Vietnam
reviews: 6
10. Re: Fancy an Indian

easyas, I’m not sure why the person you spoke to said that the original Omar’s closed down because of “lack of business” and that “nobody could find it”. Omar’s hasn’t moved location; it’s in the exact same location it has been in for several years!! The only thing that has changed is the name- it is now called Shree Ganesh (24 Tran Hung Dao Street – tel. 0510 864538). The restaurant is easy to find and is regularly busy.

Hoi An likes to re-name and re-number its streets so perhaps this has caused confusion for people!

The manager (Raj) and most of the staff of Shree Ganesh are the same as when it was called Omar’s. Raj also has Indian restaurants in Mui Ne (57 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street – tel. 062 741330) and Hue (10 Nguyen Tri Phuong Street – tel. 054 821616).

I ate there tonight – the food continues to taste great!