We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip (or an overnighter) to Buenos Aires

Which Colonia del Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 75
Day trip (or an overnighter) to Buenos Aires

I'm traveling to Uruguay late this calendar year and I'm doing my trip planning. The purpose of my trip to Uruguay is to see, taste, absorb and experience Uruguay. But, just over on the other side of the Rio de la Plata sits Buenos Aires.

Should I go? What is the feasibility of doing a day trip to Buenos Aires from Colonia? Or is Buenos Aires just so overwhelmingly huge that I should do an overnight (or two) there if I am going to add it to my itinerary.

If it were not for the visa issue, and the $160 admission tax -- really really high for just a day trip in my opinion -- then a couple of days in Buenos Aires out of a two-week trip to Uruguay would be a no-brainer. But with this new, rather expensive fee targeted towards those of us from the U.S., I'm debating whether Buenos Aires would be worth it. I know I'll enjoy the Oriental side of the Rio de la Plata!

I'm posting this in the Uruguay forum because I think I will get a more objective answer than in the Argentina forum.

Charlotte NC
reviews: 57
11. Re: Day trip (or an overnighter) to Buenos Aires

We did our trip the opposite way, just a few short hours in Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay on a day trip from Buenos Aires. While we liked Buenos Aires, despite it being the only place in the world we got ripped-off, we really wish we had allocated time to rent a car to explore Uruguay.

If you want to see what we did, I have a few posts on journeysbyjill.com on our South American travels. It might help you plan, giving you ideas as to what you must do and what you can live without.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will fabulous! Happy travels

Petaluma, California
reviews: 234
12. Re: Day trip (or an overnighter) to Buenos Aires

A day trip to Colonia is expensive. We arrived in Buenos Aires on a cruise ship, then took the ferry over to Colonia. When we went to purchase return ferry tickets, we were required to pay the Argentina visa tax of $160/person. They did not charge this visa tax when we got off the cruise ship (they did stamp our passports), so it was a surprise when we were forced to in Colonia - evidently, this policy was started in February of 2013. That, plus the ferry cost - $60 one way per person - makes for an expensive day trip. Was Colonia worth it? No, it is only worth a quick half-day visit - spend the time in Buenos Aires instead.

13. Re: Day trip (or an overnighter) to Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 11, 2014