We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights in Uruguay - Carmelo, Colonia & Montevideo

Which Colonia del Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whistler, Canada
reviews: 46
8 nights in Uruguay - Carmelo, Colonia & Montevideo

My husband and I are planning a side trip from BA (via ferry) to Uruguay for 8 nights in late October. We are thinking of spending 3 nights at an Estancia in Carmelo, 3 nights in Montevideo and 2 nights in Colonia. We are not interested in more than a look at Punta del Este.

Where is the best place to rent a car in Colonia? Any must-see/do suggestions along the way?

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
reviews: 4
1. Re: 8 nights in Uruguay - Carmelo, Colonia & Montevideo

In Colonia you´ll find most of the international car rental agencies: Thrifty, Europcar, Avis, Mariño Sport, etc. in the port area. The ride to Carmelo takes around 1 hour. There you can´t miss the wineries, Irurtia and Zubizarreta with tasting. For sure at the estancia they say the same. In Montevideo you probably get more from your stay if you do a city tour, to see the most interesting sites, buildings and monuments, and it could be advisable to make a tour thru the congress, takes a few hours. Then in COlonia, the historic district is charming, has several museums and restaurantes, but you also have the suburbs with farms, cheese and marmelade producers, and other museums like shipwrack, railroad museum, and the abandoned bullring from the formelly tourist complex Mihanovich. There`s a golf court, tennis, etc.

New Jersey
reviews: 38
2. Re: 8 nights in Uruguay - Carmelo, Colonia & Montevideo

We took the Buequebus from Buenos Aires to Colonia. We rented our car from Thrifty (online). You can walk to Thrifty car rental from the Buequebus parking lot in Colonia. You'll see that it's right across the street.

We stayed overnight in Colonia one night at the Radisson which has an outdoor and indoor pool. It it a few blocks from the historic district. The next day we drove to Montevideo, stopping at the Juanico Winery along the way -- this winery was great. My son and his wife have toured Napa Valley and said this tour was so much better. We felt like one night was enough in Colonia, unless you are going to tour some of the surrounding area from there.

I have some photos of our vacation here -- haven't uploaded my Montevideo photos yet -

www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/my_shared…

In Montevideo there's a lot to see - we loved Mercado del Puerto for lunch with lots of craft vendors outside.

If you go to Punta del Este, we really loved Casa Pueblo. We also enjoyed the beach at San Ignacio, with lunch at La Huella.

What a great vacation we had!

Whistler, Canada
reviews: 46
3. Re: 8 nights in Uruguay - Carmelo, Colonia & Montevideo

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, we are really looking forward to our trip to Uruguay. I have already booked the rental car with Thrifty and our plan is to spend a couple of nights at an estancia in Carmelo first. From there, we will head east where we'll spend a night at Hotel Garzon and a couple of nights in Jose Ignacio (La Huella is on our list!). We will work our way back to Montevideo for a couple of nights and then spend our final night in Colonia.

I've spoken with friends who were recently there and have noted their suggestion to bring plenty of cash as credit cards and ATMs are somewhat scarce. Would you agree with this?

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
reviews: 17
4. Re: 8 nights in Uruguay - Carmelo, Colonia & Montevideo

ATMs are scarce, but findable. Some of the best restaurants accept only cash (e.g., Marismo in Jose Ignacio, open only Christmas through January, normally).

5. Re: 8 nights in Uruguay - Carmelo, Colonia & Montevideo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, March 03, 2011